Aug 30, 2011, 11:09 PM EDT
Javaris Crittenton is in custody for allegedly shooting and killing Julian Jones, a mother of four, at a drive-by in front of her Atlanta house. Crittenton claims innocence, saying he was not in the car.
The question has been why would he do it? Atlanta police had always said the target was some men with Jones at the time of the shooting, that she was the classic innocent bystander.
The reason might be revenge for an earlier robbery, according to the Associated Press.
Crittenton told police he and a friend were leaving a barbershop around 10:50 p.m. April 21 when two teenagers surprised them as they returned to their car, according to police report released to The Associated Press.
One teenager held Crittenton at gunpoint and ordered him to “give me what you got,” he told police. He said he handed over a $25,000 black diamond necklace, a $30,000 black diamond watch, an iPhone and $25 cash, according to the report.
One of the people with Jones at the time of the shooting said he was not involved in any robbery. However, revenge for that robbery may be motive.
Crittenton was expected to be on the roster of the D-League’s Dakota Wizards this coming season. He was drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers in 2007 and also played for the Memphis Grizzlies, then the Washington Wizards where he was suspended along with Gilbert Arenas for a guns-in-the-locker room incident. And Crittenton should not be calling Arenas as a character witness.
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 0
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 13
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 11
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 19
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 27
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 7
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36