Aug 30, 2011, 11:09 PM EDT
Javaris Crittenton is in custody for allegedly shooting and killing Julian Jones, a mother of four, at a drive-by in front of her Atlanta house. Crittenton claims innocence, saying he was not in the car.
The question has been why would he do it? Atlanta police had always said the target was some men with Jones at the time of the shooting, that she was the classic innocent bystander.
The reason might be revenge for an earlier robbery, according to the Associated Press.
Crittenton told police he and a friend were leaving a barbershop around 10:50 p.m. April 21 when two teenagers surprised them as they returned to their car, according to police report released to The Associated Press.
One teenager held Crittenton at gunpoint and ordered him to “give me what you got,” he told police. He said he handed over a $25,000 black diamond necklace, a $30,000 black diamond watch, an iPhone and $25 cash, according to the report.
One of the people with Jones at the time of the shooting said he was not involved in any robbery. However, revenge for that robbery may be motive.
Crittenton was expected to be on the roster of the D-League’s Dakota Wizards this coming season. He was drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers in 2007 and also played for the Memphis Grizzlies, then the Washington Wizards where he was suspended along with Gilbert Arenas for a guns-in-the-locker room incident. And Crittenton should not be calling Arenas as a character witness.
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 6
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 18
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 14
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 70
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 66
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14