Aug 30, 2011, 11:09 PM EDT
Javaris Crittenton is in custody for allegedly shooting and killing Julian Jones, a mother of four, at a drive-by in front of her Atlanta house. Crittenton claims innocence, saying he was not in the car.
The question has been why would he do it? Atlanta police had always said the target was some men with Jones at the time of the shooting, that she was the classic innocent bystander.
The reason might be revenge for an earlier robbery, according to the Associated Press.
Crittenton told police he and a friend were leaving a barbershop around 10:50 p.m. April 21 when two teenagers surprised them as they returned to their car, according to police report released to The Associated Press.
One teenager held Crittenton at gunpoint and ordered him to “give me what you got,” he told police. He said he handed over a $25,000 black diamond necklace, a $30,000 black diamond watch, an iPhone and $25 cash, according to the report.
One of the people with Jones at the time of the shooting said he was not involved in any robbery. However, revenge for that robbery may be motive.
Crittenton was expected to be on the roster of the D-League’s Dakota Wizards this coming season. He was drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers in 2007 and also played for the Memphis Grizzlies, then the Washington Wizards where he was suspended along with Gilbert Arenas for a guns-in-the-locker room incident. And Crittenton should not be calling Arenas as a character witness.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11