Aug 30, 2011, 11:09 PM EDT
Javaris Crittenton is in custody for allegedly shooting and killing Julian Jones, a mother of four, at a drive-by in front of her Atlanta house. Crittenton claims innocence, saying he was not in the car.
The question has been why would he do it? Atlanta police had always said the target was some men with Jones at the time of the shooting, that she was the classic innocent bystander.
The reason might be revenge for an earlier robbery, according to the Associated Press.
Crittenton told police he and a friend were leaving a barbershop around 10:50 p.m. April 21 when two teenagers surprised them as they returned to their car, according to police report released to The Associated Press.
One teenager held Crittenton at gunpoint and ordered him to “give me what you got,” he told police. He said he handed over a $25,000 black diamond necklace, a $30,000 black diamond watch, an iPhone and $25 cash, according to the report.
One of the people with Jones at the time of the shooting said he was not involved in any robbery. However, revenge for that robbery may be motive.
Crittenton was expected to be on the roster of the D-League’s Dakota Wizards this coming season. He was drafted by the Los Angeles Lakers in 2007 and also played for the Memphis Grizzlies, then the Washington Wizards where he was suspended along with Gilbert Arenas for a guns-in-the-locker room incident. And Crittenton should not be calling Arenas as a character witness.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 26
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris