Aug 30, 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
That’s two meetings with front office of Minnesota — the second one including owner Glen Taylor — and Rick Adelman still does not have an offer to be the head coach of the Timberwolves.
Leaving without an offer is not that big a deal, the question is will one be coming?
Ric Bucher at ESPN.com said that Adelman also left without the promise of an offer.
Adelman returned to Minneapolis late Monday night, had dinner with general manager David Kahn and met with Taylor at his home on Tuesday before flying home again, the source said.
The Timberwolves do not plan to interview any more candidates, but there is a possibility that they could invite one or two who already have interviewed to a second visit, a league source said. Aside from Adelman, the Timberwolves interviewed Bernie Bickerstaff, Don Nelson, Larry Brown, Terry Porter, Mike Woodson and Sam Mitchell.
With all do respect to the other men interviewed, Adelman is by far the best choice for this team. He is a winner (he went to the playoffs 16 of the 20 years he’s been in the league and had a few contenders), he likes an up-tempo offense but his half-court sets are variations of the triangle offense Kurt Rambis tried to install, and he would get them to play defense. The Wolves are young and talented, he could teach them to win in the NBA.
But he’s going to cost at least $4 million a year. And he’s never really been an owner’s favorite.
If Taylor just is not willing to pay the price for Adelman, why bring him back for a second interview? Simply put, if the Wolves are serious about molding their young core this is the best guy on the market. If the price is not an issue, he should be given an offer. If price is an issue, why bring him back out? Well, it is the Timberwolves
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 0
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, leads 20-point comeback as Warriors beat Pelicans in OT, take 3-0 series lead 10
- Stephen Curry hits ridiculous corner three to force OT (VIDEO) 18
- Bulls pull away in double-overtime to take 3-0 lead over Bucks 10
- LeBron James lifts Kyrie Irving and Cavaliers to 3-0 lead over Celtics 13
- PBT Extra: Thin bench becomes big issue for Clippers against Spurs 7