Aug 30, 2011, 3:37 PM EDT
More than two years into his quest for Canadian citizenship, Matt Bonner remains grounded by red tape.
So the former Toronto Raptors forward will have to watch with fingers crossed as Canada’s men’s basketball team bids this week for a berth in the 2012 London Olympics. And then he can only hope he receives his passport in time to suit up next summer if the Canadians do qualify.
“I’m just kind of waiting and hoping,” Bonner said in a phone interview. “It’s just one of those things. It’s hard to talk about because it’s kind of a bummer for me. I just wish it would go through so I could represent the country.”
The Spurs forward, who played for the Raptors from 2004 to 2006, calls Canada his home in the off-season, and his wife and daughter are both Canadian. Bonner would like to play for the Canadian national team as soon as possible, and says that he plans on living in Canada after he retires from basketball, so hopefully he will be able to get his passport sometime in the near future.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 9
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 7
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 27
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games