Aug 30, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
Mike Woodson hadn’t even been hired as the Knicks lead assistant coach — which became official Monday — the speculation had started. Coach Mike D’Antoni’s job is in serious danger.
When Donnie Walsh was pushed out the door, the ground under D’Antoni’s feet started to shift. Woodson, the former Hawks head coach, gives the Knicks a viable alternative if D’Antoni is shipped out. Plus, Woodson and Knicks acting president Glen Grunwald were teammates at Indiana. And Woodson has ties to Isiah Thomas, whose shadow still lingers over the organization (and still seems to have owner James Dolan’s ear).
You know the New York media is all over that. D’Antoni gets it, too, as reported at the New York Post.
“I think all coaches are on a one-year deal,” D’Antoni said on a conference call. “It’s whether you get a paid vacation, but we all have to do something to earn another year, especially with the Knicks.
“It’s not like they have to keep [you] around because they’re financially strapped. We have to produce. Whether it’s one or 10, it doesn’t matter. It’s going to come down to next year.”
Either way, this is a good move for Woodson. If he can get the Knicks to play better defense — no easy feat considering the players on that roster — he’s have his choice of head coaching jobs next year. If D’Antoni does get kicked to the curb, Woodson is standing right there.
All that said, I’d have a better chance guessing what Ron Artest is thinking than guessing what the Knicks will do next.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 25
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 31
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 43
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42