Jennings says Kobe isn’t L.A. enough for Drew League

Aug 30, 2011, 10:18 AM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Atlanta Hawks, Game 7 Getty Images

The Drew League wants a rematch. The legendary Los Angeles pro-am league flew its best to Washington D.C. to take on the Goodman League and its best lost by one point with some controversial refereeing thrown in.

Drew League officials are working to make a rematch happen on the West Coast. As part of that, they want to bring in the biggest name in Los Angeles basketballKobe Bryant. Because he’d help the team, and because his name helps sponsors jump on board.

But L.A. native and Drew League regular Brandon Jennings is not down with that. Here is what he told Chris Palmer of ESPN (via twitter):

Brandon Jennings on Kobe: “He wasn’t born and raised in LA. You gotta be from LA to play for Drew. Show me a birth certificate.”

That birth certificate will say Philadelphia. East Coast.

Kobe has his defenders, including Kevin Durant, who got into a little twitter fight with Jennings on the issue.

Born there or not, Kobe is the face of basketball in Los Angeles right now. He owns the city. He’s got five rings that all say Los Angeles on them. And he’s played a game at the Drew League — an odd little add-on game, but a game none the less.

Kobe may not be pure Drew like Jennings or James Harden or Baron Davis, but right now he is pure Los Angeles. Even if he lives in Newport Beach in the OC. So I guess the question is how do you define being an Angelino.

I think I know how Jennings defines it.

1. wvan10 - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Using Jennings’ logic many Californians born in other states are really not Californians and Americans born in other countries are not really Americans. To me, home can be where you lay your hat or where you’re from. It doesn’t have to be one or the other. As a person who has left Los Angeles for Orange County myself, I still love LA and my Lakers as well as my Angels in baseball and keep great pride in being from LA and living in OC. Kobe has spent his entire adult life living in the Greater LA area and playing for LA’s biggest attraction. There’s nothing wrong with him being born in Philly and being from LA both at the same time.

• dysraw1 - Aug 30, 2011 at 11:32 AM

couldnt say it better

2. vstyle23 - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Oh, please guys. I’m with Jennings on this. This is about what hood you reppin. We know Kobes not even hood anyways, not that that’s a bad thing but Jennings is just doin a little friendly smackin

• moosington - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:59 PM

If Jennings is so in love with being from LA, then why did he leave Dominguez in Compton to go to Oak Hill in Virginia? It’s quite obvious that Kobe has done more for LA basketball than Jennings could ever hope to.

• ndirishfan1 - Sep 5, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Jennings also was going to suit up for the University of Arizona instead of two in-city schools — UCLA and USC.

• stayhigh_247 - Aug 31, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Kobe is marking that 1st Milwaukee game down in the mental notes Brandon. I hear your point but Kobe owns LA right now and if you, BD and Harden combined were Lakers you still wouldn’t be as vital to LA as Kobe, with that being said Kobe should join the Goodman and face off with these dudes taking reckless….

3. chargerdillon - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Somebody should remind Brandon Jennings the Drew league IS FOR NO NAME JOBBERS LIKE BRANDON JENNINGS

How dare you disrespect a man who’s brought 5 championship banners to LA. Go ahead and ask around Jennings, he’s more LA than you’ll ever be, because LA is about winners, and you haven’t even won the right to speak on Kobe.

4. conflicted1 - Aug 30, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Dude Jennings From Compton… sooooooooooooo he cant be in the Drew League Either… Compton has a City Hall, its Own School District and Court system… it is in LA county though…!!!

5. zblott - Aug 30, 2011 at 1:53 PM

@wvan10
    Kobe is not from Philly. He’s from Lower Merion, the really rich suburb to the west with pristine malls and sanitized gated communities, but whose residents want the street cred or whatever you want to call it of saying they live in Philly. Just ask anyone who actually lives in the city or is from there where Kobe is from – they certainly won’t claim him as one of their own. He was born there, that’s it, never lived there.

• stayhigh_247 - Aug 31, 2011 at 1:26 AM

yeah but to the outside world he’s from Philly like DWade is from Chicago by way of Robbins, IL, just a technicality

6. bullsfan93 - Aug 30, 2011 at 2:13 PM

if the bucks play the lakers this season (if there is a sesaon) i predict kobe’s gonna ball it up all over Jennings…just wait.

7. wvan10 - Aug 30, 2011 at 2:19 PM

zblott, for the longest time the Lakers played in Inglewood, a suburb city south of downtown Los Angeles, however they were never known as the Inglewood Lakers. We can argue about geography but I think that’s off point just a bit.

• zblott - Aug 30, 2011 at 2:42 PM

You’ve obviously never lived in the Philly area (not that I’d expect it) because no one from Philly claims Kobe as one of their own. No one.

• wvan10 - Aug 30, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Since I’ve said I’m from LA/OC you can assume I’ve never lived in Philly, yes. I don’t think this is about Kobe being from Philly or not. I didn’t even say he was. I said he was born in Philly. He could just as easily say he’s from Italy I suppose, although I doubt and have never heard him say that. I think the point is that he has lived in the LA area since he was 18 and most of us Southern CA people are ok with saying Kobe is one of us!!

• moosington - Aug 30, 2011 at 5:03 PM

And I’m sure Kobe loses sleep over it every night.

8. genos88 - Aug 30, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Is this really a debate? When I say LA basketball what comes to mind? It sure isn’t Brandon Jennings. That boy talkin like he some crazy superstar when he is getting torched in “HIS” league. Kobe owns LA and the league will only get bigger and more popular if Kobe plays. Any league for that matter because cus you have Turkey and China trying to pay him a million a month. Kobe is bigger in LA and Cali than anyone. This little NOBODY saying he from LA and all but no one cares cus KOBE is the BASKETBALL KING in LA.

9. damp1015 - Aug 30, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I think what Jennings said has some truth. I know Kobe has won tiltes for the Lakers, but if they didn’t pay him what they do, he wouldn’t be there trust me. We have seen very few athletes who will stay with a team because they feel like they want to represent where they are from.

Jennings on the other hand, yes for the Bucks, but that is who is currently paying him. If he received a better offer else where, same story.

Regardless to say, if he speak of Kobe not being LA enough, let him. Who are we to say Jennings cannot have an opinion. Because my opinion on Kobe is yes he can play and has won championships, but he digusts me as a person. He has terrible character both in the NBA and out. In my eyes, he is an overrated player who will never amount to Jordan.

And he is a rapist. He has no respect and that is my opinion. I know alot of you are going to go nuts on that comment but just because he is Kobe doesn’t make him less of a scumbag.

• socalgal64 - Aug 31, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Not sure WTF this has to do with anything.

10. dieseltrain - Aug 31, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Jennings a idiot.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches