Aug 30, 2011, 10:18 AM EDT
The Drew League wants a rematch. The legendary Los Angeles pro-am league flew its best to Washington D.C. to take on the Goodman League and its best lost by one point with some controversial refereeing thrown in.
Drew League officials are working to make a rematch happen on the West Coast. As part of that, they want to bring in the biggest name in Los Angeles basketball — Kobe Bryant. Because he’d help the team, and because his name helps sponsors jump on board.
Brandon Jennings on Kobe: “He wasn’t born and raised in LA. You gotta be from LA to play for Drew. Show me a birth certificate.”
That birth certificate will say Philadelphia. East Coast.
Born there or not, Kobe is the face of basketball in Los Angeles right now. He owns the city. He’s got five rings that all say Los Angeles on them. And he’s played a game at the Drew League — an odd little add-on game, but a game none the less.
Kobe may not be pure Drew like Jennings or James Harden or Baron Davis, but right now he is pure Los Angeles. Even if he lives in Newport Beach in the OC. So I guess the question is how do you define being an Angelino.
I think I know how Jennings defines it.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10