Aug 30, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton are forever linked.
When Gilbert Areas brought guns into the Washington Wizards locker room it was due to a dispute with Crittenton — and Crittenton said he had his own guns. Crittenton (a bit player on the Wizards) pled guilty to a misdemeanor, missed the entire rest of the season on suspension and faded away from the Wizards.
Mike Wise over at the Washington Post recalls an interesting conversation with Arenas about Crittenton last season, one that may shed a little new light on the murder charges Crittenton now faces. (Hat tip to the fantastic Mike Prada of Bullets Forever.)
Asked whether he had spoken to Javaris Crittenton since they were both suspended for the remainder of the 2009-2010 NBA season and Arenas had spent 30 days in a halfway house, Arenas replied, “No, but I heard he became more hard.”
More hard, he explained, meant “more gangsta.”
“You know, like some people turn over a new leaf when something bad like that changes their life. I heard Javaris went the other way — he became more ’hood, more hardened in that way. I don’t know if that’s the case, but that’s what I heard.”
Crittenton is now in custody for the shooting of a mother of four. He was picked up by the FBI at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, on his way to Atlanta to turn himself in. Crittenton says he is not guilty.
We can debate how much we should trust Arenas as a source, especially since this is second hand (courts would throw it out as hearsay). But the comments are interesting.
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says afterward ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 0
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 3
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games