Aug 30, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton are forever linked.
When Gilbert Areas brought guns into the Washington Wizards locker room it was due to a dispute with Crittenton — and Crittenton said he had his own guns. Crittenton (a bit player on the Wizards) pled guilty to a misdemeanor, missed the entire rest of the season on suspension and faded away from the Wizards.
Mike Wise over at the Washington Post recalls an interesting conversation with Arenas about Crittenton last season, one that may shed a little new light on the murder charges Crittenton now faces. (Hat tip to the fantastic Mike Prada of Bullets Forever.)
Asked whether he had spoken to Javaris Crittenton since they were both suspended for the remainder of the 2009-2010 NBA season and Arenas had spent 30 days in a halfway house, Arenas replied, “No, but I heard he became more hard.”
More hard, he explained, meant “more gangsta.”
“You know, like some people turn over a new leaf when something bad like that changes their life. I heard Javaris went the other way — he became more ’hood, more hardened in that way. I don’t know if that’s the case, but that’s what I heard.”
Crittenton is now in custody for the shooting of a mother of four. He was picked up by the FBI at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, on his way to Atlanta to turn himself in. Crittenton says he is not guilty.
We can debate how much we should trust Arenas as a source, especially since this is second hand (courts would throw it out as hearsay). But the comments are interesting.
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 0
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 0
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 3
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 20
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 9
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 33
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8