Aug 30, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton are forever linked.
When Gilbert Areas brought guns into the Washington Wizards locker room it was due to a dispute with Crittenton — and Crittenton said he had his own guns. Crittenton (a bit player on the Wizards) pled guilty to a misdemeanor, missed the entire rest of the season on suspension and faded away from the Wizards.
Mike Wise over at the Washington Post recalls an interesting conversation with Arenas about Crittenton last season, one that may shed a little new light on the murder charges Crittenton now faces. (Hat tip to the fantastic Mike Prada of Bullets Forever.)
Asked whether he had spoken to Javaris Crittenton since they were both suspended for the remainder of the 2009-2010 NBA season and Arenas had spent 30 days in a halfway house, Arenas replied, “No, but I heard he became more hard.”
More hard, he explained, meant “more gangsta.”
“You know, like some people turn over a new leaf when something bad like that changes their life. I heard Javaris went the other way — he became more ’hood, more hardened in that way. I don’t know if that’s the case, but that’s what I heard.”
Crittenton is now in custody for the shooting of a mother of four. He was picked up by the FBI at John Wayne Airport in Orange County, California, on his way to Atlanta to turn himself in. Crittenton says he is not guilty.
We can debate how much we should trust Arenas as a source, especially since this is second hand (courts would throw it out as hearsay). But the comments are interesting.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)