Aug 30, 2011, 10:19 PM EDT
That was the show at the Goodman vs. Melo league showdown in Baltimore Tuesday night. Actually, that was just part of the show, which is why it was a special night.
If you just rolled your eyes at that score, you miss the point. This was not about good defensive rotations, this was pure entertainment. A show in Baltimore for the Melo league people (folks that normally can’t afford to sit close to floor for a Wizards game, if they even went into D.C. to do it). A chance for the best to show some flare in their games. This was about pure street basketball.
This is about creating a great buzz for next NBA season… oh, yea. Forgot they are screwing that up royally.
Still, it was a show. LeBron and Durant went at each other hard and isolated, one-on-one for a lengthy strip of the first quarter, tweeted Michael Lee, the Washington Post’s Wizards beat man who was on hand and tweeting. Neither could stop the other, with LeBron just hitting fade-away jumpers over Durant and KD putting a host of moves on LeBron.
James finished with 42 including a key late three, Carmelo Anthony had 27 (although take these numbers with a grain of salt, your high school team kept better official stats).
There was a fantastic CP3 ally-oop to Josh Selby, there was Durant dunking right through people. There was a wild energy in the building with 4,000 people there (and the proceeds going to the Melo Center for youth in Baltimore). There was a pure love for the game.
It all makes you want to walk into a New York office building tomorrow, show the tape of this (like this one) to David Stern and Billy Hunter, then tell them not to &%#$ this up and get a deal done.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 10
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 30
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 8