Aug 30, 2011, 10:19 PM EST
That was the show at the Goodman vs. Melo league showdown in Baltimore Tuesday night. Actually, that was just part of the show, which is why it was a special night.
If you just rolled your eyes at that score, you miss the point. This was not about good defensive rotations, this was pure entertainment. A show in Baltimore for the Melo league people (folks that normally can’t afford to sit close to floor for a Wizards game, if they even went into D.C. to do it). A chance for the best to show some flare in their games. This was about pure street basketball.
This is about creating a great buzz for next NBA season… oh, yea. Forgot they are screwing that up royally.
Still, it was a show. LeBron and Durant went at each other hard and isolated, one-on-one for a lengthy strip of the first quarter, tweeted Michael Lee, the Washington Post’s Wizards beat man who was on hand and tweeting. Neither could stop the other, with LeBron just hitting fade-away jumpers over Durant and KD putting a host of moves on LeBron.
James finished with 42 including a key late three, Carmelo Anthony had 27 (although take these numbers with a grain of salt, your high school team kept better official stats).
There was a fantastic CP3 ally-oop to Josh Selby, there was Durant dunking right through people. There was a wild energy in the building with 4,000 people there (and the proceeds going to the Melo Center for youth in Baltimore). There was a pure love for the game.
It all makes you want to walk into a New York office building tomorrow, show the tape of this (like this one) to David Stern and Billy Hunter, then tell them not to &%#$ this up and get a deal done.
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 0
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 10
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 18
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)