Aug 30, 2011, 7:12 PM EDT
According to ESPN.com’s Andy Katz, former Tennessee Coach Bruce Pearl has turned down a job offer that would have made him the new head coach of the D-League’s Texas Legends:
Less than a week after receiving a three-year, show-cause penalty from the NCAA’s committee on infractions, former Tennessee Volunteers men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl has decided to leave the sport and head into the private sector.
Pearl said in a statement Tuesday that he is turning down a job offer to coach the Texas Legends, the Dallas Mavericks‘ D-League franchise, and instead is joining H.T. Hackney Co. in Knoxville, Tenn., as vice president of marketing.
Given the circumstances surrounding Pearl’s departure from his last head coaching job, it’s not surprising that he wants to stay out of the spotlight for a little while. The Legends are currently coached by Nancy Lieberman, who is the first and only woman to have ever coached a D-League or NBA franchise.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 17
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona