Aug 30, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
After saying publicly he didn’t plan on doing Dancing with the Stars (as well as telling a lot of people around him the same thing) everything changed pretty quickly for Ron Artest.
There he was Monday night, running out on stage — he was the only one to take off his shirt while doing it — during the live “Dancing” cast reveal on ABC.
Why the change of heart? His daughter. And in her honor the money he raises being on the show will be donated to a cancer charity, he told the Los Angeles Times.
“(Artest’s 8-year-old daughter Diamond) said, ‘Daddy, you can do it,’ ” Artest recalled Monday in a phone interview. “It’s going to be fun.”
It wasn’t just a case of Artest being unable to say no to his daughter. At age 4 in 2007, Diamond was diagnosed with wilms tumor, Artest said, a kidney cancer that affects children. So in honor of his daughter successfully fighting the illness, Artest said he plans to donate the money he earns on “Dancing with the Stars” to the Cancer Research Foundation….
“That’s the only reason I’m doing it,” Artest said. “I’m doing it for a cause.”
That means at least $125,000 for the charity and more if he advances. Theoretically he could be called away from the show to go back to his day job as a Los Angeles Lakers forward if the lockout ends, but nobody seems terribly worried about that outcome.
Artest — who will officially be named Metta World Peace by the time the show airs — has said he can’t dance, but he is fearless about trying new things, about putting himself out there. Got to give him some credit for that.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4