Aug 29, 2011, 12:46 PM EDT
The NBA-headed-overseas movement appears to be at a waiting-to-exhale moment.
For weeks, the “What if?” scenarios of the supposed mass migration were ones mostly reduced to whispers.
What if an NBA player is injured overseas?
What if such an injury impacted an existing contract?
What if overseas insurance doesn’t cover every eventuality?
According to a report from HoopChina.com, one roughly translated through the marvel that is Google translate, it seems as if Timberwolves forward Michael Beasley injured his left wrist, perhaps fracturing it, while attempting a few dunks in the wake of an exhibition in China alongside Celtics forward Paul Pierce.
Beasley, who had his moments in the game, with 32 points in a victory, reportedly then sought additional medical treatment in China.
On one hand, this hardly would be a game-changing moment for the Timberwolves, who seemingly have more forwards than David Kahn (or Rick Adelman) apparently know what to do with.
And the love-of-the-game clause in standard NBA contracts allows for players to appear in such exhibitions without the risk of loss of guaranteed salary.
Still, these also are not typical times, with access to team trainers complicated by the lockout.
This is not a moment about Michael Beasley or the Timberwolves or even such exhibition tours, which are typical of most offseasons.
This well could be the moment when those previously so willing to head overseas during the lockout contemplate, give greater reflection to the possibilities of such an injury, weigh risks perhaps not previously considered.
There is little doubt that over his three seasons, Michael Beasley has had a way of getting the NBA to pay attention.
This time, though, it might provide pause to an entire league.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 9
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 48
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43