Aug 29, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
Big names were coming. Kevin Durant was there. Of course he was — if there was a high-level pro-am game this summer, Durant has been there. He’s sharpening his game, more importantly this has been a summer of sharp little bit of grassroots marketing by KD.
Back to the issue at hand, the Elite 24 at Venice Beach was a showcase worth seeing. First off, Venice has some of the best pickup ball in the Los Angeles Area. (I played there a lot for a six month span, not on the main court but down a couple, and it was a proud day when a regular nicknamed me “Bobby Jones.”) Venice Beach also a tourist mecca and where the people even Angelino’s consider odd seem to collect.
It’s a very LA setting. Here are the highlights from a good day, via Ball Don’t Lie.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 14
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 7
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)