Aug 29, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Big names were coming. Kevin Durant was there. Of course he was — if there was a high-level pro-am game this summer, Durant has been there. He’s sharpening his game, more importantly this has been a summer of sharp little bit of grassroots marketing by KD.
Back to the issue at hand, the Elite 24 at Venice Beach was a showcase worth seeing. First off, Venice has some of the best pickup ball in the Los Angeles Area. (I played there a lot for a six month span, not on the main court but down a couple, and it was a proud day when a regular nicknamed me “Bobby Jones.”) Venice Beach also a tourist mecca and where the people even Angelino’s consider odd seem to collect.
It’s a very LA setting. Here are the highlights from a good day, via Ball Don’t Lie.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59