Aug 29, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
Big names were coming. Kevin Durant was there. Of course he was — if there was a high-level pro-am game this summer, Durant has been there. He’s sharpening his game, more importantly this has been a summer of sharp little bit of grassroots marketing by KD.
Back to the issue at hand, the Elite 24 at Venice Beach was a showcase worth seeing. First off, Venice has some of the best pickup ball in the Los Angeles Area. (I played there a lot for a six month span, not on the main court but down a couple, and it was a proud day when a regular nicknamed me “Bobby Jones.”) Venice Beach also a tourist mecca and where the people even Angelino’s consider odd seem to collect.
It’s a very LA setting. Here are the highlights from a good day, via Ball Don’t Lie.
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 1
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 17
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 8
- After Lakers’ 48-point loss, Laker GM Kupchak, owner Buss met with coach D’Antoni 32
- Report: Knicks offer Phil Jackson a front office position 31