Aug 29, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Big names were coming. Kevin Durant was there. Of course he was — if there was a high-level pro-am game this summer, Durant has been there. He’s sharpening his game, more importantly this has been a summer of sharp little bit of grassroots marketing by KD.
Back to the issue at hand, the Elite 24 at Venice Beach was a showcase worth seeing. First off, Venice has some of the best pickup ball in the Los Angeles Area. (I played there a lot for a six month span, not on the main court but down a couple, and it was a proud day when a regular nicknamed me “Bobby Jones.”) Venice Beach also a tourist mecca and where the people even Angelino’s consider odd seem to collect.
It’s a very LA setting. Here are the highlights from a good day, via Ball Don’t Lie.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14