Aug 29, 2011, 3:04 PM EDT
According to Scott Sargent of Waiting For Next Year, the Cavaliers’ top two picks have chosen to stay on their respective college campuses for now rather than go overseas in search of a payday. Here’s the story:
“Just picked out my classes for this fall,” tweeted one Kyrie Irving, first overall pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. “Back to school it is!!!”
Such is the life for a rookie in a league that has ceased operation. Irving, who’s father insists that a one-and-done career path was not in the cards one year earlier, will go back to Duke University and take coursework like many other 19-year-olds within the same institution. While others within Irving’s freshly acquired peer group are fielding offers from potential overseas employers, he and his teammate Tristan Thompson are opting to continue their education while they wait out the current impasse that is the NBA and their labor negotiations.
Irving was taken 1st overall by the Cavaliers, and Thompson was taken with the 4th overall pick. According to the article, Thompson is staying in classes in order to prepare for life after basketball, and Irving plans on being at Duke in the summers and being around the campus “as much as he can.”
It seems like this lockout would be tougher than the league’s rookies than anybody else, as they will almost certainly miss the pre-season work that is so critical to get before their first NBA games. Still, Irving and Thompson appear to be keeping their heads on their shoulders, and more schooling is almost never a bad thing in the long run.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 12
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50