Aug 29, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
Like Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson, who we talked about earlier today, Warriors guard Stephen Curry is also making the best of a bad situation and taking college courses while the lockout rages on. CBS’ Matt Norlander has the story:
Curry is arguably making more out of the NBA lockout than any other player. And perhaps no other program is benefiting from the pros’ work stoppage like Davidson. That’s because Curry is taking advantage of an opportunity and fulfilling a promise at the same time. Upon leaving early from Davidson to enter the NBA Draft in 2009, he swore to his parents and his coach, Bob McKillop, that he would earn his degree as soon as possible.
“He’s walking the walk,” McKillop said. “Our culture in college athletics is going through a few hits right now, but here’s a great story.”
The newly married Curry’s days now consist of rehabbing his ankle, grabbing some Chick-Fil-A, working out, going to class, spending time with his wife, and helping out the Davidson basketball team whenever he can.
Curry is one of the NBA’s most talented and dynamic scorers, as well as one of its true class acts. There haven’t been many feel-good stories coming out of the lockout, but Curry using his time away from pro basketball to go back to college and get his degree is certainly one.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay