Aug 29, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Is this really shocking? Or even news?
Since we’re left to speculating about what teams will do after the lockout, it will pass the test for now. But since the Pistons were reportedly shopping Richard Hamilton at the last trading deadline — any moves were killed by the impending sale of the team — it should be no surprise they will shop him around after the lockout.
That is what the Detroit Free Press is reporting.
He’s owed roughly $21 million over the next two seasons, as the second year is only partially guaranteed. And remember president of basketball operations Joe Dumars has almost traded Hamilton several times when the financial burden was greater.
So Hamilton, 33, will be on the trading block as soon as regular business begins in the NBA, and the Pistons need to eventually turn the page to the next era. Hamilton might be more valuable as potential trade bait whenever the next trade deadline comes.
Hamilton still has some value on the court — he can shoot the three, he can still hit a midrange coming off a screen. On a team where he is a third or fourth option and not the guy the defenses watch — or as a scorer coming off the bench — he could help a contending team. The question is: What would teams really give up to get that?
Probably not that much, but as it is time for the Pistons to rebuild any picks or young players they get can help build the future.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 2
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 4
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31