Aug 29, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
Is this really shocking? Or even news?
Since we’re left to speculating about what teams will do after the lockout, it will pass the test for now. But since the Pistons were reportedly shopping Richard Hamilton at the last trading deadline — any moves were killed by the impending sale of the team — it should be no surprise they will shop him around after the lockout.
That is what the Detroit Free Press is reporting.
He’s owed roughly $21 million over the next two seasons, as the second year is only partially guaranteed. And remember president of basketball operations Joe Dumars has almost traded Hamilton several times when the financial burden was greater.
So Hamilton, 33, will be on the trading block as soon as regular business begins in the NBA, and the Pistons need to eventually turn the page to the next era. Hamilton might be more valuable as potential trade bait whenever the next trade deadline comes.
Hamilton still has some value on the court — he can shoot the three, he can still hit a midrange coming off a screen. On a team where he is a third or fourth option and not the guy the defenses watch — or as a scorer coming off the bench — he could help a contending team. The question is: What would teams really give up to get that?
Probably not that much, but as it is time for the Pistons to rebuild any picks or young players they get can help build the future.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18