Aug 29, 2011, 8:12 AM EDT
We’re still not sure what good it will do, we’re not convinced the two sides really feel the pressure to compromise and reach a deal, but they will meet in a few days.
Source close to labor talks says meeting between league and NBPA officials – including Stern & Hunter – will now be Wednesday in New York.
So it’s Wednesday. Again, not sure the meeting will amount to much.
Until one of the two sides does something that brings the other into serious talks — or until the National Labor Relations board rules on the complaint filed by the union that the owners are not negotiating in good faith — there is little reason to expect a deal.
Yes, the season is coming. Yes, soon there will be cancellations and that will be the first real pressure on the two sides. But unlike the NFL owners who didn’t want to lose money by missing games, there are NBA owners willing to miss games. More than willing. If you want to believe that cooler heads will prevail, that both sides want to avoid killing the momentum generated last season, be our guest.
I don’t see it.
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 0
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 6
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 80
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 20
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (80)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay