Aug 29, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
It looks like Rick Adelman is one step closer to being the next head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves. Which in and of itself seems like a minor miracle.
One of the nagging questions about the Wolves landing Adelman (who would seem the perfect fit on paper) is if they could afford him — he would demand upwards of $4 million a season. Minnesota still has to pay Kurt Rambis $2 million next year as part of the last year of his deal. That’s a lot of coin for a smaller market team.
I’m hearing today what I heard 5 weeks ago: Adelman’s presence 4 interview means #Timberwolves already have agreed to pay range: $4-6M per
Adelman comes in with a pedigree of both winning and playing the up-tempo style of basketball GM David Kahn has said he wants to play. He also comes in with some gravitas — he gets to pick his own staff, he gets to run his own show. This is not a rookie coach, this is a 20-year veteran that knows how to win. It may be hard to win with this young roster, but he will be able to mold them in a way no other coach currently available can.
And, Adelman comes in having a good relationship with Kevin Love — Adelman’s son played high school ball and was friends with Love. The high school Love used to come over to Adelman’s house (when Adelman coached the Trail Blazers) and talk hoops. In today’s NBA where managing personalities is at least half the coaching battle, Adelman comes in strong. Rambis and Love never had a good relationship.
If Kahn pulls this off, in the wake of convincing Ricky Rubio to come to the States now and drafting Derrick Williams, the often-mocked GM (by myself and others) will have knocked it out of the park this summer.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2