Aug 29, 2011, 10:03 AM EDT
It looks like Rick Adelman is one step closer to being the next head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves. Which in and of itself seems like a minor miracle.
One of the nagging questions about the Wolves landing Adelman (who would seem the perfect fit on paper) is if they could afford him — he would demand upwards of $4 million a season. Minnesota still has to pay Kurt Rambis $2 million next year as part of the last year of his deal. That’s a lot of coin for a smaller market team.
I’m hearing today what I heard 5 weeks ago: Adelman’s presence 4 interview means #Timberwolves already have agreed to pay range: $4-6M per
Adelman comes in with a pedigree of both winning and playing the up-tempo style of basketball GM David Kahn has said he wants to play. He also comes in with some gravitas — he gets to pick his own staff, he gets to run his own show. This is not a rookie coach, this is a 20-year veteran that knows how to win. It may be hard to win with this young roster, but he will be able to mold them in a way no other coach currently available can.
And, Adelman comes in having a good relationship with Kevin Love — Adelman’s son played high school ball and was friends with Love. The high school Love used to come over to Adelman’s house (when Adelman coached the Trail Blazers) and talk hoops. In today’s NBA where managing personalities is at least half the coaching battle, Adelman comes in strong. Rambis and Love never had a good relationship.
If Kahn pulls this off, in the wake of convincing Ricky Rubio to come to the States now and drafting Derrick Williams, the often-mocked GM (by myself and others) will have knocked it out of the park this summer.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte