Aug 29, 2011, 10:03 AM EST
It looks like Rick Adelman is one step closer to being the next head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves. Which in and of itself seems like a minor miracle.
One of the nagging questions about the Wolves landing Adelman (who would seem the perfect fit on paper) is if they could afford him — he would demand upwards of $4 million a season. Minnesota still has to pay Kurt Rambis $2 million next year as part of the last year of his deal. That’s a lot of coin for a smaller market team.
I’m hearing today what I heard 5 weeks ago: Adelman’s presence 4 interview means #Timberwolves already have agreed to pay range: $4-6M per
Adelman comes in with a pedigree of both winning and playing the up-tempo style of basketball GM David Kahn has said he wants to play. He also comes in with some gravitas — he gets to pick his own staff, he gets to run his own show. This is not a rookie coach, this is a 20-year veteran that knows how to win. It may be hard to win with this young roster, but he will be able to mold them in a way no other coach currently available can.
And, Adelman comes in having a good relationship with Kevin Love — Adelman’s son played high school ball and was friends with Love. The high school Love used to come over to Adelman’s house (when Adelman coached the Trail Blazers) and talk hoops. In today’s NBA where managing personalities is at least half the coaching battle, Adelman comes in strong. Rambis and Love never had a good relationship.
If Kahn pulls this off, in the wake of convincing Ricky Rubio to come to the States now and drafting Derrick Williams, the often-mocked GM (by myself and others) will have knocked it out of the park this summer.
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 1
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 7
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 16
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)