Aug 29, 2011, 10:03 AM EST
It looks like Rick Adelman is one step closer to being the next head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves. Which in and of itself seems like a minor miracle.
One of the nagging questions about the Wolves landing Adelman (who would seem the perfect fit on paper) is if they could afford him — he would demand upwards of $4 million a season. Minnesota still has to pay Kurt Rambis $2 million next year as part of the last year of his deal. That’s a lot of coin for a smaller market team.
I’m hearing today what I heard 5 weeks ago: Adelman’s presence 4 interview means #Timberwolves already have agreed to pay range: $4-6M per
Adelman comes in with a pedigree of both winning and playing the up-tempo style of basketball GM David Kahn has said he wants to play. He also comes in with some gravitas — he gets to pick his own staff, he gets to run his own show. This is not a rookie coach, this is a 20-year veteran that knows how to win. It may be hard to win with this young roster, but he will be able to mold them in a way no other coach currently available can.
And, Adelman comes in having a good relationship with Kevin Love — Adelman’s son played high school ball and was friends with Love. The high school Love used to come over to Adelman’s house (when Adelman coached the Trail Blazers) and talk hoops. In today’s NBA where managing personalities is at least half the coaching battle, Adelman comes in strong. Rambis and Love never had a good relationship.
If Kahn pulls this off, in the wake of convincing Ricky Rubio to come to the States now and drafting Derrick Williams, the often-mocked GM (by myself and others) will have knocked it out of the park this summer.
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 0
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 23
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 10
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)