Aug 29, 2011, 2:31 PM EDT
See what winning a ring can get you? A Silver Laurel Leaf.
Which is a huge deal to Dirk Nowitzki.
The Silver Laurel Leaf is the highest honor Germany can give its sporting heroes, and Nowitzki got one, according to ESPN Dallas.
German President Christian Wulff presented Nowitzki with the Silver Laurel Leaf, praising the Mavericks forward as one of the “giants of German sport…”
Wulff praised his fellow German for remaining “modest and restrained” despite his success.
This is well deserved. And it is also a little elbow to the ribs trying to make sure Nowitzki will play for Germany next summer if they qualify for the London Olympics. Which he will if healthy, he’s helping the team qualify for EuroBasket, which starts Wednesday.
It also got me thinking, what is the American equivalent? Getting your statue out in front of the arena where you played? Getting a street named after you around the arena? I think the best comparison is getting your jersey retired league wide — something only Jackie Robinson and Wayne Gretzky have had done. But not sure I want to see that done in the NBA.
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 0
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 8