Aug 28, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT
Ron Artest is following in Mark Cuban’s footsteps. Literally.
It had been rumored that Ron Artest was in talks to take part in Dancing with the Stars this fall (although he seemed down on it), and now Charged.fm and Terez Owens is reporting that the Lakers forward — to officially become Metta World Peace by the time the show airs — will be announced as one of the participants Monday.
My source close to Ron Ron has confirmed that Artest is one of the participants on the 13th season of DWTS. The complete cast will be announced tomorrow during ABC’s “The Bachelor Pad…Artest will be dancing into our hearts and home starting Monday, September 19th.
No active NBA player has ever been on the show because the show runs during the NBA season (Mark Cuban has done it but lasted only a couple weeks). With the lockout expected to cost the season games, Artest is in — although there is a risk for the show if Artest lasts a while and David Stern and Billy Hunter figure it all out. Former athletes have fared well on the show — Emmitt Smith, Helio Castroneves and Hines Ward have all won (as have Kristi Yamaguchi and Shawn Johnson).
There also have been rumors Dwyane Wade would participate, but there is no confirmation of that yet.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 32
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 32
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18