Aug 28, 2011, 2:02 PM EDT
Ron Artest is following in Mark Cuban’s footsteps. Literally.
It had been rumored that Ron Artest was in talks to take part in Dancing with the Stars this fall (although he seemed down on it), and now Charged.fm and Terez Owens is reporting that the Lakers forward — to officially become Metta World Peace by the time the show airs — will be announced as one of the participants Monday.
My source close to Ron Ron has confirmed that Artest is one of the participants on the 13th season of DWTS. The complete cast will be announced tomorrow during ABC’s “The Bachelor Pad…Artest will be dancing into our hearts and home starting Monday, September 19th.
No active NBA player has ever been on the show because the show runs during the NBA season (Mark Cuban has done it but lasted only a couple weeks). With the lockout expected to cost the season games, Artest is in — although there is a risk for the show if Artest lasts a while and David Stern and Billy Hunter figure it all out. Former athletes have fared well on the show — Emmitt Smith, Helio Castroneves and Hines Ward have all won (as have Kristi Yamaguchi and Shawn Johnson).
There also have been rumors Dwyane Wade would participate, but there is no confirmation of that yet.
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 0
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 10
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 13
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 22
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 10