Aug 27, 2011, 9:00 PM EDT
Goodman-Drew was a thriller, even if almost no one got to see it (even those who had tickets). But it was lacking in star power (no offense to James Harden or Brandon Jennings). There’s talk of Kobe joining the Drew League for a rematch in California, but there may be a bigger contest being put together by one of the (quietly) most powerful entities in street basketball: Melo League.
Entering this game, the Melo League is the likely favorite and not just because they’ll have home court advantage at St. Frances Academy in Baltimore. They have a star-studded group that is sure to attract plenty of attention.
Michael Lee of the Washington Post reports that John Wall will not be available for the match, and also that’s it’s technically not a “Goodman League” game, it just features all the Goodman players. Glad we got that cleared up.
That’s quite a lineup, even if Goodman will get outright destroyed. Chris Paul-LeBron-Melo? Oh, wait, nevermind, A. this is basketball and games are never decided on talent alone and B. this is a Pro-Am game so nothing will make sense, everything will be disorganized and rainbow unicorns will explode like light grenades.
This could be a gigantic game and it would behoove the organizers to find a television match. Here’s a question. How is Nike not involved in something like this? Sponsor the entire thing, put it on Nike.com, keep the high school kids away (officially) and expand the brand.
Of course, this could just be because I’m so desperate for basketball and staring down a lockout barrel of a six-months-or-longer continued lockout that I’m willing to watch gerbils play 21. It’s entirely possible. Either way, huge game, seriously.
Now we just have to see if the mega-stars actually go through with it.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 19
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 9
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 14
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23