Aug 27, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
Some players aren’t sitting idly by in the lockout, some are organizing team workouts to keep team chemistry and conditioning high. It’s a show of maturity and dedication that’s nice to see. The lockout’s an easy excuse to torch workout habits and get out of rhythm, making the climb back whenever this thing ends that much harder. The Sixers’ players apparently have no such intention towards laziness.
The Philadelphia 76ers met in Los Angeles yesterday for their first group workout of the summer. Elton Brand organized the impromptu minicamp, which will last several days.
The workout lasted three hours and took place on UCLA’s campus. The players will continue to meet throughout the week and are encouraging Marreese Speights, who is working out in Las Vegas, to join them in the next few days.
Iguodala-Turner-Holiday-Young-Williams. That’s the core of the Sixers, right there, with Meeks having played a significant role. And hey, Spencer Hawes…
Yeah, so Iggy and Turner and Holiday and Young and Meeks! With Lou Williams!
It’s nice that the Sixers players brought in Turner, too, as such a young player, and with the potential conflicts between Iguodala and Turner in terms of positioning. Turner’s been working with a shooting coach. Young’s a free agent, so his time with them is another sign of his commitment to the team.
It’s not going to be a game-changer. But it’s really nice to see leadership from the players on something other than making sure they protect their money.
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 26
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 12
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 52
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28