Aug 27, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
Some players aren’t sitting idly by in the lockout, some are organizing team workouts to keep team chemistry and conditioning high. It’s a show of maturity and dedication that’s nice to see. The lockout’s an easy excuse to torch workout habits and get out of rhythm, making the climb back whenever this thing ends that much harder. The Sixers’ players apparently have no such intention towards laziness.
The Philadelphia 76ers met in Los Angeles yesterday for their first group workout of the summer. Elton Brand organized the impromptu minicamp, which will last several days.
The workout lasted three hours and took place on UCLA’s campus. The players will continue to meet throughout the week and are encouraging Marreese Speights, who is working out in Las Vegas, to join them in the next few days.
Iguodala-Turner-Holiday-Young-Williams. That’s the core of the Sixers, right there, with Meeks having played a significant role. And hey, Spencer Hawes…
Yeah, so Iggy and Turner and Holiday and Young and Meeks! With Lou Williams!
It’s nice that the Sixers players brought in Turner, too, as such a young player, and with the potential conflicts between Iguodala and Turner in terms of positioning. Turner’s been working with a shooting coach. Young’s a free agent, so his time with them is another sign of his commitment to the team.
It’s not going to be a game-changer. But it’s really nice to see leadership from the players on something other than making sure they protect their money.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 14
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 16
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 20
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)