Aug 27, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
Sports Illustrated’s Zach Lowe reports that the NBPA’s charge of unfair labor practices and failure to negotiate in good faith has “finished investigation into (the) union’s complaint.” Final briefs are expected next week.
The odds of a different result than the NFL garnered are pretty small, but the effect would be devastating for the owners… for about thirty seconds before they appeal and this thing enters legal purgatory. The owners can’t lose this fight, so they’d have to keep appealing, which would be costly. Then again, they’ve literally stopped their business, so what’s a few more million on top of it?
Meanwhile, everything continues according to plan, with both sides following the same playbook legally they were expected to. And that’s really been part of the issue. Both sides continue to follow the playbook line by line with no deviation. If there’s going to be a season, something’s going to have to deviate from the expected pattern, otherwise both sides are just charging headlong into losing the entire year.
The swiftness and decisiveness of the decision may give us some insight into how organized the Union is at this point.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'