Why is he called Shane Battier? Bad handwriting.

Aug 25, 2011, 9:30 PM EDT

Memphis Grizzlies v Oklahoma City Thunder - Game One Getty Images

Shane Battier is working his way through China (what NBA player isn’t?) promoting PEAK, his China-based shoe company. With that comes a lot of media stops and pictures and press conferences and the like.

Most of them sound identical after a while, like white noise in the background.

But Battier broke that up at one press conference, telling an interesting story about his last name (via SLAM and The Basketball Jones):

“My dad, Eddie Battle, born Eddie Battle, on his birth certificate, whoever wrote it down wrote B-A-T-T-scribble-scribble-scribble. So my dad grew up Eddie Battle his entire life, and then he joined the army when he was of age, the army recruiter actually had his own interpretation of what was on the birth certificate. They wrote down B-A-T-T-I-E-R.

So the first day in the army, my dad says ‘Private Battle reporting for duty.’ The sergeant said, ‘There’s no Battle, there’s a Battier (ed. note: pronounced ‘batty-er’).’ So my dad says, ‘That’s not my name.’ The sergeant says, ‘Well Uncle Sam says it is.’ So my dad kept it.

So he was Eddie Battier (still ‘batty-er’), and he met his wife, my mom, in ’75 and she said, ‘It looks French. We’ll call it French.’ So from that point on they were Battier (bat-ee-ay). So I’m a first generation Battier.”

Is there any chance we are not calling him “Battle” next season? Nope.

That is just an awesome story.

1. missmomo1 - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Really good story. It does sound French, I like it better.

2. goforthanddie - Aug 26, 2011 at 12:52 AM

I like how the sergeant didn’t even consider correcting the “problem”.

• dondada10 - Aug 26, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Especially considering how awesome of a military last name “Battle” is.

3. seattlesuperchronic - Aug 26, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Now that was a good read. Stories like these will ease the pain of a lockout if it goes on too long.

4. 00maltliquor - Aug 26, 2011 at 1:21 AM

That’s one of the crazier stories I’ve heard. Nice work, sir. Funny how Shane’s dad didn’t care about what he was called, like he had no pride in family herritage. The sarge’ coulda called him private Ding-Bat and he probably wouldv’e rolled with it.

• grizz2202 - Aug 26, 2011 at 1:58 PM

From WikiPedia:
      Prior to the ratification of the Thirteenth Amendment to the US Constitution, the vast majority of African-Americans in the United States were enslaved. During enslavement, slaves’ names were assigned by their owners. Others received a name based on what kind of work they were forced to do. Some African-Americans have last names such as Cotton, reflecting when they were made to pick cotton as slaves.

After emancipation, many freedmen and -women took the surnames of their former owners as their own. Some blacks in the U.S. took on the surname Freeman, while others adopted the names of popular historical or contemporary figures of social importance, such as former presidents Washington, Jefferson, and Jackson.
      —————————

Way to show your ass, Maltliquor. I’m sure “Battle” was not the family name from the beginning of time either, Ding-Bat.

5. rayrsatx - Aug 26, 2011 at 5:11 PM

First of all, wikipedia is not considered a scholastic resource, not even accepted in research papers. Second, Battier is not African, nor were his ancestors slaves during colonial or early American history. Lastly, many European immigrants did have their name altered or shortened to sound more American. This was accomplished during their arrival at Ellis Island in NY! If you want to get you fact straight or at least be credible, do not rely on Wikipedia for research, try reading a book!

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches