Aug 25, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT
Yesterday we brought you word how a highly-respected, old school Turkish national team assistant coach ripped Enes Kanter as not ready for the NBA. Which would be pretty bad news for the Utah Jazz as they drafted him No. 3 overall back in June.
Today came the rebuttal, with the honors going to Turkey’s first year head coach Orhun Ene.
He put this on the Turkish Federation Web site, the translation is via Hoopshype.
“As the head coach of Turkish National Team I’m not the only one who’s happy about the performance of Enes Kanter’s in the national team. All my assistants, all of the executives, to sum it all everybody is happy with Enes and every one of us strongly believe that he will be very successful both in the NBA and Turkish National Team” said Ene.
“Although he didn’t play for nearly one and a half year he quickly adapted to our team and established a position where he can show his basketball skills. Though he is very young what he can do on the basketball court is unbelievable. I believe that he’ll even be better before Eurobasket 11 in Lithuania starts which is a great news for us.”
I’m not going to pretend to know the dynamics of the Turkish national team coaching staff. But I will add this reminds me a little of how Tex Winter and Phil Jackson used to work — Winter was Jackson’s conscious. Winter could say things publically about Shaquille O’Neal or Kobe Bryant that Jackson could not because Jackson needed to preserve a relationship for motivational reasons. If Tex said Kobe was shooting too much, Jackson could smooth it over and still make sure the message was heard.
Not sure if that is the dynamic here, that’s just what it reminds me of. Jazz fans, go ahead and thing the head coach is spot on if you want.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47