Aug 25, 2011, 8:02 AM EST
Well, this is something for the new coach to explain.
Newly named, yet-to-coach-one-game for the Golden State Warriors Mark Jackson has been tied to Warren Braithwaite, a man arrested in June by the DEA in an interstate drug ring bust, reports Star Magazine. The same report ties Lady Gaga and Jamie Foxx to the same man, so great company any way you slice it.
Braithwaite’s been accused of being the kingpin of a massive marijuana distribution chain that brought drugs in from Mexico into Arizona for wider distribution. He remains in jail awaiting trial.
Radar online has details of their relationship and Jackson’s reaction:
In fact, Jackson took Braithwaite to a news conference on June 10 — just 4 days before Braithwaite’s arrest — when he announced his decision to leave broadcasting and accept the role.
Braithwaite was also involved at the True Love Worship Center International, in Van Nuys, Calif., a ministry helmed by Jackson and his wife. (Note: Braithwaite was the head usher.)
While the Warriors had no comment, Jackson tells Star he has “not seen one piece of evidence that Brother Warren is the person police say he is. Our prayers, thoughts and love are for Warren and his family.”
Jackson was not alone. Braithwaite was often seen with Foxx, had business dealings with Dr. Dre and others, according to reports. He’s apparently well known in Hollywood circles.
I’m not taking any high moral ground here. Braithwaite has not been convicted of anything. Also, even if he is guilty, it is possible that Jackson (a very religious man) knew nothing of what was happening. But it’s not the best way to start out one’s tenure as a new head coach of an organization trying to change its image.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)