Aug 25, 2011, 8:02 AM EDT
Well, this is something for the new coach to explain.
Newly named, yet-to-coach-one-game for the Golden State Warriors Mark Jackson has been tied to Warren Braithwaite, a man arrested in June by the DEA in an interstate drug ring bust, reports Star Magazine. The same report ties Lady Gaga and Jamie Foxx to the same man, so great company any way you slice it.
Braithwaite’s been accused of being the kingpin of a massive marijuana distribution chain that brought drugs in from Mexico into Arizona for wider distribution. He remains in jail awaiting trial.
Radar online has details of their relationship and Jackson’s reaction:
In fact, Jackson took Braithwaite to a news conference on June 10 — just 4 days before Braithwaite’s arrest — when he announced his decision to leave broadcasting and accept the role.
Braithwaite was also involved at the True Love Worship Center International, in Van Nuys, Calif., a ministry helmed by Jackson and his wife. (Note: Braithwaite was the head usher.)
While the Warriors had no comment, Jackson tells Star he has “not seen one piece of evidence that Brother Warren is the person police say he is. Our prayers, thoughts and love are for Warren and his family.”
Jackson was not alone. Braithwaite was often seen with Foxx, had business dealings with Dr. Dre and others, according to reports. He’s apparently well known in Hollywood circles.
I’m not taking any high moral ground here. Braithwaite has not been convicted of anything. Also, even if he is guilty, it is possible that Jackson (a very religious man) knew nothing of what was happening. But it’s not the best way to start out one’s tenure as a new head coach of an organization trying to change its image.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final