Aug 25, 2011, 10:34 AM EDT
Gilbert Arenas’ twitter account got him in some trouble again.
Arenas had sued trying to stop a former fiancé Laura Govan from going on VH1’s new series “Basketball Wives L.A.” which debuts next week. Maybe the most amazing thing to me is that show did well enough to get a spin-off. Who is watching that crap?
But we digress. A judge shot down Arenas’ attempt to keep Govan from appearing on the show and mentioning his name, and did so in a way that essentially called Arenas’ complaint frivolous, reports the Hollywood Reporter, quoting the judge’s ruling.
“On the record currently before the Court, it appears that any references in BWLA to Arenas will be incidental to the show’s plot as a whole. At its core, the show is about the women who have or have had relationships with basketball players rather than the players themselves. Thus, the show appears to be transformative….
“Arenas suggests that any discussion of his family life is not sufficiently related to his celebrity to render BWLA’s use of his identity a matter of public concern. This contention is belied by the tens of thousands of Twitter users who follow Arenas as he tweets about a variety of mundane occurrences.”
I don’t find Arenas’ twitter account mundane. In bad taste, at times you bet. But not mundane.
Govan has a flair for the dramatic — she had Arenas served with papers at halftime of a game — so she seems a fit for the show.
So if you want to watch Govan talk Arenas, tune into VH1 next week. Why you would do that, I have no idea, but this is a free country. Do what you will.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 0
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 10
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 17
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8