Aug 25, 2011, 12:42 PM EDT
Phil Jackson did some pretty out-of-the-box things as a coach — group meditation and drum beating to get his team focused and unified. That whole Zen thing of letting teams find their own way by not calling timeouts.
But he has nothing on what is going on in Turkey.
That is where Deron Williams and a number of other NBA players are headed during the lockout to sharpen their games and make a little extra cash during the lockout.
They may find the ways of Turkish coaches disturbing at times, as Jimmy Baron told Rick Riley of ESPN.
He was playing for Mercin of the Turkish Basketball League, the same league superstar NBA guard Deron Williams has agreed to play in during the lockout. They’d lost their first four games of the season and rumor was, if things didn’t get better soon, heads were going to roll.
“The coach didn’t speak any English,” says Baron, a 3-point specialist from the University of Rhode Island. “But he motioned me to come out in front of the arena with the whole team. He put us in a circle and there’s this goat standing there. All of a sudden one of the assistant coaches gets out this huge machete. And then — whack! — he cuts the goat’s head off!”
The Turkish players immediately stuck their fingers in the blood of the neck and wiped it on their foreheads.
“Then they started motioning for me to do it,” Baron remembers. “I’m like, ‘You gotta be crazy!’ And I got the heck out of there.”
Then there are the stories of rowdy crowds chucking batteries and worse at the opposing team. There were teams cutting off the electricity to the homes of players who aren’t living up to expectations. Then there is just living in a country with deep-seeded anti-American feelings among the population.
Maybe a few American stars can help bridge that gap a little (although other Americans have been playing there for years). More than likely, it’s just going to be an interesting side show while Billy Hunter and David Stern have a staring contest across a table.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 6
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 5
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 34
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 9
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40