Aug 25, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT
Wade can also relate to Rose, not just as a Chicago native but also on the court. For years in Miami (after the 2006 title year) it was the Dwyane Wade show and nothing else — he had to create almost all the offense. Teams loaded up on him. It took a toll on him and put a ceiling on how high the Heat could rise until they got him help.
After seeing the Bulls in the playoffs, Wade told ESPNChicago.com they are very close.
“They met us in the Eastern Conference finals, and they were one player away from making it a very, very, very tough series,” Wade told ESPNChicago.com during an event for his “Wade’s World” charities. “Derrick Rose is evolving into a phenomenal player. You could look and see they’re one player away from being there every year….
“It would have to be a player that can take the pressure off him from making every play,” Wade said. “As a point guard, when you have to score so much, and have to make every big shot, and have to make all the passes, eventually it takes a toll on you throughout the season, no matter how phenomenal you are.
“So just someone who can come in and take some of that pressure away. That’s why I was excited not only to play with my friend but excited to play with a guy like LeBron, because it takes some of that pressure away from having to do it year after year after year. It saves you, your body.”
Does anybody really disagree with that?
Chicago needs another guy that can create offense, preferably at the two-guard spot. What the Bulls got last year out of Carlos Boozer is what they will basically get every year. Luol Deng, Kyle Korver and Joakim Noah are good role players on a contending team.
But a second guy to create, something like what Lou Williams did for the 76ers last season off the bench. Put that on the Bulls next season and that rematch with the Heat we all expect would be appointment television. Well, providing we have a playoffs next season.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 54
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 35
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights