Aug 24, 2011, 3:48 PM EDT
NBA 2K12, by putting 15 legends of the NBA into this year’s game, sparked a little debate — which 15 guys should be in?
It’s easy to say Michael Jordan and Magic, but when it gets to around 15 the lines are not so clear. Especially when you know the game makers are giving extra weight to players game buyers remember.
Guys like Charles Barkley. A guy who should be in the discussion for that list but is certainly on the bubble.
He’s not in it. At all. The Sixers team he played on as a rookie — which included Dr. J — is in but he is absent from that squad. That is not the kind of casual oversight you see on a game that prides itself in the details.
Gaming site kotaku.com explains it was all about the Benjamins. And maybe some ego.
2K Sports attempted to include basketball great Charles Barkley in NBA 2K12’s “NBA’s Greatest” mode, showcasing dozens of superstars spanning the game’s history, but the two sides were unable to reach an agreement bringing the hall-of-famer to the video game. He will not appear in NBA 2K12….
Why Barkley couldn’t fit in may be due to money, what billing he receives in the game, or a combination of both. Barkley is a unique figure in that his television work for TNT’s NBA broadcasts keeps him prominent as one of basketball’s most commanding figures. Yet his playing record is, objectively, dwarfed by the game’s three different cover stars, and many of the others on the list of 15 legends. He has one MVP, one NBA Finals appearance and no championships. Nearly everyone else has multiple credentials in both categories.
2K Sports goes out of its way in statements to the site to say what a good relationship they have with Sir Charles, paving the way for him to be in future. But for now, no go. You’ll have to settle for Charles Oakley.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30