Aug 24, 2011, 1:58 PM EDT
Among the signs you should just try and get comfortable because this lockout is going to be a long, bumpy ride….
Bexar County — which includes San Antonio — has helped clear the way for the Spurs to save millions by putting off planned upgrades to the AT&T Center (where the Spurs play).
If the team were to delay starting to spend the bond funds that voters approved in 2007, it essentially would be putting off having to spend $15 million — its portion of the nearly $90 million total dedicated for arena technology improvements and enhanced fan experience.
County officials say the Spurs could use that $15 million as a cushion against the financial shock certain to hit if part or all of next season were scuttled.
Isn’t that nice, county officials concerned about how the rich owners of the Spurs are doing.
The reality is the county wants to keep the biggest and best tenant of the AT&T Center happy. As they should, smart business for them.
But this is sign 1,648,935 that both sides of this labor divide are digging in for a long winter’s nap. Where the rest of us can just dream about basketball.
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 0
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 4
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 9
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 13
- Why there’s a 100 percent chance the NBA lottery is fixed 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable