Aug 24, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
As we’ve talked about before, we’ve heard from some owners that are willing to scrap the entire 2011-12 season to get a deal that works for them. Remember, six NBA owners also own NHL teams, guys who know that path.
Now we’ve got a player saying the same thing. Great. Just great.
LaMarcus Aldridge was in Portland for his youth basketball camp Tuesday and the union representative for the Blazers was not exactly optimistic when speaking to the Oregonian.
Aldridge, who is the Blazers’ player representative in the NBA Player’s Union, said he does not expect the season to start on time but does believe there will be a season eventually. That said, he is prepared to sit out all of 2011-12 if necessary.
“If that’s what it takes to get a fair deal done, then yes,” Aldridge said.
Of course, as a union rep he knows he has to say that. He has to take a hard line. It doesn’t really soften the blow that much.
As we’ve talked about before, right now there just is no pressure on either side to really compromise and negotiate, so they are not even meeting (at least until next week sometime). As the clock moves through September, that pressure will start to ramp up because first training camps will be postponed, then preseason games cancelled, then eventually regular season games will be called off.
Right now most people (myself included) seem to think like Aldridge that at least some of the season will be lost. How much — or is it all of it — remains the question nobody can answer.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61