Aug 23, 2011, 10:42 AM EDT
The NBA players are learning that the marketing machine that is the NBA is not so easy to replace.
While there has been Grassroots buzz about all the pro-am events this summer, that has not seeped into the national sports consciousness. Not in a meaningful way. (There are people criticizing the lack of marketing around the Goodman vs. Drew showdown last weekend, and there could have been a bigger profile, but that sort of misses the point of the Goodman League. That should have been a grassroots event for the people, and it was.)
Now Impact Basketball — one of the biggest off-season workout and training facilities in the nation — is trying to organize a two-week run in Las Vegas for pros, reports Alex Kennedy at Hoopsworld.
Joe Abunassar, the founder and head trainer of Impact Basketball, confirmed that the league will kick off in mid-September, likely during the week following Labor Day. Two games will be played each day and the league is expected to last at least two weeks long. There is a possibility that the games will be streamed online.
“It will start in September, with two games a day,” Jared Dudley told HOOPSWORLD. “There will be a blend of all-stars, veterans and rookies. We’ll play by NBA rules – have a 24-second shot clock and everything. You heard of the Drew League and Goodman League, but the difference with this league is that it’s not a pro-am. There will just be NBA pros. It really gets guys ready for the NBA season. I’m excited every summer because at Impact, you only can get better. Now, the games are there to put what you learn into action on the court.”
But can Impact get those players to come to Vegas and play for a couple weeks? The bigger question for players trying to gain leverage in negotiations with owners — if we are just hearing about this a couple weeks before it starts (and without a lot of details), can you get people to attend? Can you really market it? Would it even match the buzz of NBA Summer League? If the games “may” be streamed online I have doubts about that end of it.
And if they start this Vegas run right as the NFL and college football start up, will anyone notice or care?
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 4
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 12
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23