Aug 23, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
Last we heard from Rick Adelman, he didn’t sound like a guy that eager to coach next season. (If there is a next season. Man I’m sick of writing that phrase.)
Whatever the reason, Adelman will meet in person with the decision makers of the Minnesota Timberwolves. The Wolves are still going to have to sell him on taking the job, but at least he’s willing to listen now.
Adelman is the front-runner for this gig as far as Minny is concerned. For one, if owner Glen Taylor is trying to see if the issue has been the coaches or general manager David Kahn, this will answer the question — Adelman can coach. He’s been in the league 20 years, been to the playoffs 16 years and had some contending teams in Portland and Sacramento. He will not be the problem.
Also, Adelman comes in with an established, strong relationship with Kevin Love. Finally, his former teams in Sacramento and elsewhere did run, one of Kahn’s requirements for his new coach.
Minnesota has taken its time with its coaching search, starting with letting Kurt Rambis twist in the wind for a couple months before firing him. Then they have interviewed seven coaches, including Don Nelson and Mike Woodson for the gig.
Adelman would be a good hire for Minnesota. The fact he is coming to interview shows he is interested, too. The question may be money — Adelman should make upwards of $4 million a year. Maybe a million or two upwards. Will the Timberwolves pay that?
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 11
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 6
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3