Aug 23, 2011, 11:55 PM EDT
Earlier today we told you how frustrated Utah Jazz draft pick Enes Kanter is with not having been able to play much the last couple of years (what with the NCAA sidelining him at Kentucky and now the lockout). We also have told you how that has impacted his game — he’s shown potential in one-on-one situations on both ends of the floor, but when it comes to teamwork concepts (like help defense) he’s looked lost.
Which is our way of saying there is potential in there, but it’s going to take some work to get it out.
But a Turkish coach, speaking with the blog beyondthebeat.net before a EuroBasket tuneup in Germany, was far more direct — he’s not ready for the NBA.
“All the coaching staff and people around basketball think that it is too early for him to go there (to the NBA),” said Nihat Izic, an assistant head coach of the Turkey National Team told Beyond the Beat.
“He has the chance to play in the Euro League and then after that, when you feel you are ready, then you go to the NBA. He decided to go, and I’m not sure who gave him that advice. I don’t want to go there.”
Since Kanter went No. 3 overall he could say “NBA scouts think I am.” More accurately it would be scouts think he has a lot of potential and he is going to paid a lot of money to learn on the job.
But Utah fans should be warned — there is a lot of learning to do. This is a project that may not pay off for a few years. Patience, Jazz fans, patience.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31