Aug 23, 2011, 11:55 PM EST
Earlier today we told you how frustrated Utah Jazz draft pick Enes Kanter is with not having been able to play much the last couple of years (what with the NCAA sidelining him at Kentucky and now the lockout). We also have told you how that has impacted his game — he’s shown potential in one-on-one situations on both ends of the floor, but when it comes to teamwork concepts (like help defense) he’s looked lost.
Which is our way of saying there is potential in there, but it’s going to take some work to get it out.
But a Turkish coach, speaking with the blog beyondthebeat.net before a EuroBasket tuneup in Germany, was far more direct — he’s not ready for the NBA.
“All the coaching staff and people around basketball think that it is too early for him to go there (to the NBA),” said Nihat Izic, an assistant head coach of the Turkey National Team told Beyond the Beat.
“He has the chance to play in the Euro League and then after that, when you feel you are ready, then you go to the NBA. He decided to go, and I’m not sure who gave him that advice. I don’t want to go there.”
Since Kanter went No. 3 overall he could say “NBA scouts think I am.” More accurately it would be scouts think he has a lot of potential and he is going to paid a lot of money to learn on the job.
But Utah fans should be warned — there is a lot of learning to do. This is a project that may not pay off for a few years. Patience, Jazz fans, patience.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 14
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 11
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 34
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 18
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (46)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)