Aug 23, 2011, 10:19 AM EDT
After a one-point loss on the wrong coast, Los Angeles-based Drew League players and officials said they wanted a rematch with the Washington D.C.-based Goodman League. This time on their turf.
Drew League officials are working to pull together a Sept. 10 event in Los Angeles, which is not a lot of time to get sponsors and arrange the details. And sponsors will not jump on and write checks until this is a sure thing. It is not yet.
Adding Kobe Bryant would make it a sure thing.
Which is why Drew League officials will be at Kobe’s door on Tuesday trying to talk him into playing, reports Mark Medina at the Los Angeles Times.
“I think he wants to play because he’s hungry like that,” Drew League Commissioner Oris “Dino” Smiley said of Bryant late Monday evening in a phone interview. “We have some real solid basketball and it’s well organized. I think he wants to be a part of it….”
Smiley argued Bryant’s appearance won’t necessarily dictate whether the Goodman League and Drew League can organize a rematch. They are, after all, only four days removed from a competitive and controversial game where the Goodman League won, 135-134, before a standing-room only crowd at Trinity University in Washington D.C.
Drew players and backers had questions about the officiating at the end of that game. Actually, that’s putting it nicely, they think they got screwed on a call that D.C. native Kevin Durant got that sent him to the line to hit two game-winning free throws. Then James Harden didn’t get a call on a last-second shot to win it at the other end.
Putting it simply — if Kobe is in this game is happening. He alone will draw the players and make potential sponsors drool. If he is out, it could still happen but Smiley has a much tougher road to travel. And not much time to do it either way.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32