Aug 22, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Could Kevin Durant open a movie better than Denzel Washington? Shaq?
We may soon find out.
The man who has grown his fame this summer via a grassroots campaign — dropping 66 at Rucker Park, putting on a show at the Goodman vs. Drew league game and dominating at pro-am games nationwide — may be about to try and take that fame to a new level with a movie deal, reports Darnell Mayberry at the Oklahoman. Nothing is final, but it is close.
The film, which has a basketball subplot, has not yet been named, but it’s scheduled to go into production in mid-September, according to sources. Filming location for the feature-length picture has been narrowed to Oklahoma City and Baton Rouge, La.
It’s got to be better than Kazaam, right?
Warner Brothers tried to select Greg Oden for the role ahead of Durant but he was injured. (I kid, I kid.)
Durant might not have been able to do the movie but for the lockout — shooting starts in September and a couple of weeks into that he would have had to report to Oklahoma City for training camp. Nobody thinks camps will open on time.
So would you pay $10 to see Durant act? Or wait and pay $1 a RedBox.
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 16
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 17
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6