Aug 22, 2011, 8:45 AM EST
Could Kevin Durant open a movie better than Denzel Washington? Shaq?
We may soon find out.
The man who has grown his fame this summer via a grassroots campaign — dropping 66 at Rucker Park, putting on a show at the Goodman vs. Drew league game and dominating at pro-am games nationwide — may be about to try and take that fame to a new level with a movie deal, reports Darnell Mayberry at the Oklahoman. Nothing is final, but it is close.
The film, which has a basketball subplot, has not yet been named, but it’s scheduled to go into production in mid-September, according to sources. Filming location for the feature-length picture has been narrowed to Oklahoma City and Baton Rouge, La.
It’s got to be better than Kazaam, right?
Warner Brothers tried to select Greg Oden for the role ahead of Durant but he was injured. (I kid, I kid.)
Durant might not have been able to do the movie but for the lockout — shooting starts in September and a couple of weeks into that he would have had to report to Oklahoma City for training camp. Nobody thinks camps will open on time.
So would you pay $10 to see Durant act? Or wait and pay $1 a RedBox.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 15
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2