Aug 22, 2011, 1:32 PM EST
In fact, they still want to honor the Lithuanian big man who spent 13 seasons with the Cavaliers by retiring his jersey. That’s the report from lithuaniabasketball.com.
Blame the rookie for not being able to keep his mouth shut about it. According to the report, No. 1 overall pick Kyrie Irving asked for Ilgauskas’ No. 11 but was told by the team that the number was about to be retired.
It’s a classy move by the Cavaliers. Ilgauskas has meant a lot to that franchise over the years and been deeply involved in the community.
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 28
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 5
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 17
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 15
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 25
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 8
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8