Aug 22, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
In fact, they still want to honor the Lithuanian big man who spent 13 seasons with the Cavaliers by retiring his jersey. That’s the report from lithuaniabasketball.com.
Blame the rookie for not being able to keep his mouth shut about it. According to the report, No. 1 overall pick Kyrie Irving asked for Ilgauskas’ No. 11 but was told by the team that the number was about to be retired.
It’s a classy move by the Cavaliers. Ilgauskas has meant a lot to that franchise over the years and been deeply involved in the community.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 3
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 13
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 12
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36