Aug 22, 2011, 12:34 AM EDT
There’s nothing good about this. There are things which aren’t bad. Like the fact that Zach Randolph is not currently under investigation for anything illegal. That’s not a bad thing. The fact that no one was seriously injured. That’s not a bad thing. But everything else? Everything else is pretty much bad. From the Oregonian:
At 12:30 a.m. this morning, detectives with the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office’s homicide and violent crimes unit served the warrant at Randolph’s home, at 1425 SW Turner Road.
Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. James Rhodes said Randolph was home at the time police served the warrant.
Rhodes said the search warrant came as part of a drug-related assault that occurred at the home early Saturday morning.
A man who was at the home told police he was assaulted with a pool cue by multiple people; Randolph was at home at the time of the incident, Rhodes said, but was not a suspect in the assault.
There are a million reasons not to jump to conclusions. If the warrant failed to turn up anything. If the warrant was not involved in anything Randolph-related outside of a houseguest. If the warrant was procedural and not intended as part of a further investigation. If there have been no charges filed in regards to Randolph for the even taking place on his property.
And still, this doesn’t look good.
The report comes roughly a year after Randolph’s associates were involved in a drug-related case in Indianapolis which he was never charged for. It just looks so bad to have this kind of a history. It should be noted that Randolph has had no issues in or around Memphis since being traded there, and that both his teammates and local media swear to how accommodating and what a positive influence he’s been within the organization and in the community.
And yet, still. Some guy got attacked with pool cues at his house and as a result police filed a warrant.
The lesson here, as always, is that things are never polar nor black and white with NBA players. Everything is measured in confusing gray areas. We’ll keep you updated as the police sort things out.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11