Aug 22, 2011, 12:34 AM EDT
There’s nothing good about this. There are things which aren’t bad. Like the fact that Zach Randolph is not currently under investigation for anything illegal. That’s not a bad thing. The fact that no one was seriously injured. That’s not a bad thing. But everything else? Everything else is pretty much bad. From the Oregonian:
At 12:30 a.m. this morning, detectives with the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office’s homicide and violent crimes unit served the warrant at Randolph’s home, at 1425 SW Turner Road.
Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. James Rhodes said Randolph was home at the time police served the warrant.
Rhodes said the search warrant came as part of a drug-related assault that occurred at the home early Saturday morning.
A man who was at the home told police he was assaulted with a pool cue by multiple people; Randolph was at home at the time of the incident, Rhodes said, but was not a suspect in the assault.
There are a million reasons not to jump to conclusions. If the warrant failed to turn up anything. If the warrant was not involved in anything Randolph-related outside of a houseguest. If the warrant was procedural and not intended as part of a further investigation. If there have been no charges filed in regards to Randolph for the even taking place on his property.
And still, this doesn’t look good.
The report comes roughly a year after Randolph’s associates were involved in a drug-related case in Indianapolis which he was never charged for. It just looks so bad to have this kind of a history. It should be noted that Randolph has had no issues in or around Memphis since being traded there, and that both his teammates and local media swear to how accommodating and what a positive influence he’s been within the organization and in the community.
And yet, still. Some guy got attacked with pool cues at his house and as a result police filed a warrant.
The lesson here, as always, is that things are never polar nor black and white with NBA players. Everything is measured in confusing gray areas. We’ll keep you updated as the police sort things out.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 16
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32