Aug 22, 2011, 10:34 AM EDT
There were concerns that if the lockout is still going on next summer (and there is a real chance of that happening) that the best NBA players would stay away because USA Basketball is seen as a David Stern production.
But if you think the best players are going to miss the chance to win a gold medal — and market themselves on the world’s biggest stage — you underestimate what really matters to players.
I’m committed. I can’t wait for it – to have an opportunity to go to London and defend our gold medal from Beijing. It’s going to be great. I’ve always loved the Olympics just to be around the athletes from all over the world. Not only in my country but to see all of the athletes, it’s so fun… I have a great deal respect for all other athletes that are competing as well.
Kobe Bryant also has said he is in.
You can say it is about pride in their country. You can say it is about competitiveness. You can say it is about legacy. You can say it is all about marketing dollars. The truth is it is a recipe of all of those (you can decide for yourself what is the main ingredient, I tend to think it’s all about the Benjamins) but that makes a dish the best players cannot resist. The USA will send a monster team to London.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 22
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49