Aug 22, 2011, 12:25 PM EDT
NBA stars may be headed down under.
If — we keep saying “if” even though it almost certainly is a “when” — the lockout drags into the regular season some top NBA players may be headed to Australia for an exhibition tour of a few games, reports the News Herald (via the Orange County Register).
The games would be at Rod Laver Arena — the center court of the Australian Open tennis match. That should work; we do preseason games here in the states on converted tennis courts (the Suns have played the last couple years at Indian Wells, in the Palm Springs area of Southern California).
The report also says they have sponsors for the tour to cover the expenses and insurance issues.
You can bet if the lockout drags out there will be some kind of barnstorming tour or some sort of events in China. There is a lot of money pushing to make that happen. But it sounds like Australia may be on its way as well. And you can bet the union will pump this up to show how its players can earn money without Stern’s league.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 21
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 12
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 17
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months