Aug 21, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Derrick Rose spoke to HoopsHype at an event in Madrid. Among a number of subjects, Rose talked about working on a post game, which is a pretty exciting idea, even if every superstar says they’re working on a post-game in the summer and few actually implement one. But more interesting was this little tidbit.
Time has passed since you won the MVP trophy award. What are your feelings about it now?
DR: It was great but I’m not satisfied. I won’t be satisfied until I win a championship. I’m not satisfied at all. There’s not a doubt in my mind that I’m not going to win a championship. I’m going win multiple championships. It’s not a doubt in my mind.
So, just to be clear on this. A young MVP player who has never won a championship has said that he’s going to win multiple titles before collecting a single one. Now, granted, Rose didn’t say “Not two, not three, four, not five, not six, not seven,” etc. like one Mr. James did, but isn’t the meaning the same? It’s counting your chickens before they’ve hatched. Putting the cart before the horse. Getting ahead of yourself. Other cliches.
Guess how much criticism Rose will get for this? None. Because he did it quietly in an interview with a website in Spain while James did it on a stage with smoke and pyro after a nationally televised special to announce he was betraying his hometown. But for a player so often described as humble, Rose has said he’s going to win the MVP, then going to win multiple titles in back to back years. Of course, another difference, Rose backed up his talk with the MVP last year.
This isn’t meant to say we should criticize Rose. It’s to say that the criticism for James was, as always, blown out of all reasonable proportion. Every great player in the NBA thinks they’re going to win multiple titles. It takes years for players to learn how valuable just getting one is.
Either that, or they play for the Lakers.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 1
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18