Aug 21, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Derrick Rose spoke to HoopsHype at an event in Madrid. Among a number of subjects, Rose talked about working on a post game, which is a pretty exciting idea, even if every superstar says they’re working on a post-game in the summer and few actually implement one. But more interesting was this little tidbit.
Time has passed since you won the MVP trophy award. What are your feelings about it now?
DR: It was great but I’m not satisfied. I won’t be satisfied until I win a championship. I’m not satisfied at all. There’s not a doubt in my mind that I’m not going to win a championship. I’m going win multiple championships. It’s not a doubt in my mind.
So, just to be clear on this. A young MVP player who has never won a championship has said that he’s going to win multiple titles before collecting a single one. Now, granted, Rose didn’t say “Not two, not three, four, not five, not six, not seven,” etc. like one Mr. James did, but isn’t the meaning the same? It’s counting your chickens before they’ve hatched. Putting the cart before the horse. Getting ahead of yourself. Other cliches.
Guess how much criticism Rose will get for this? None. Because he did it quietly in an interview with a website in Spain while James did it on a stage with smoke and pyro after a nationally televised special to announce he was betraying his hometown. But for a player so often described as humble, Rose has said he’s going to win the MVP, then going to win multiple titles in back to back years. Of course, another difference, Rose backed up his talk with the MVP last year.
This isn’t meant to say we should criticize Rose. It’s to say that the criticism for James was, as always, blown out of all reasonable proportion. Every great player in the NBA thinks they’re going to win multiple titles. It takes years for players to learn how valuable just getting one is.
Either that, or they play for the Lakers.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11