Aug 20, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Maybe you’d forgotten that the Minnesota Timberwolves still don’t have a coach. And why rush, really? The season’s not due to start for two more months, and even then, the lockout will probably hold it off until much later, possibly months. So getting on the ball about a coach isn’t really an urgent matter. But the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports Saturday that the Wolves may have narrowed down their options to a shortlist.
After interviewing six candidates in person, the team is working once again on trying to get former Houston coach Rick Adelman to come to town early next week to meet with David Kahn, Glen Taylor, Rob Moor, minority partners and other personnel.
If he declines, the Wolves then will move ahead with the process and probably choose either Nelson or Mitchell for the job.
The Trib also reports that Adelman’s a longshot according to league sources. Adelman has previously shown interest in taking over more of a personnel gig, so taking on a strictly coaching job with a general manager already in place seems kind of unlikely. At the same time, hiring Adelman would present a big step forward for the franchise. Targeting him is a great move for the organization.
If Adelman falls through, the choices are “decent’ and “call your friends who are Wolves fans and tell them to get away from sharp objects.” Sam Mitchell won Coach of the Year, and has a history in Minnesota. He’s a decent pick. Don Nelson would be an unmitigated disaster based on the young personnel they have, their need for improvement on both sides of the ball, and Nelson’s reputation for a lack of discipline.
But at least Wolves fans will know the direction of the team’s future soon.
- Report: Michael Beasley reaches agreement with Memphis Grizzlies 0
- Report: NBA not actively investigating source of Luol Deng African comment 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Indiana Pacers 2
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 19
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 18
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14