Aug 20, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT
Maybe you’d forgotten that the Minnesota Timberwolves still don’t have a coach. And why rush, really? The season’s not due to start for two more months, and even then, the lockout will probably hold it off until much later, possibly months. So getting on the ball about a coach isn’t really an urgent matter. But the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports Saturday that the Wolves may have narrowed down their options to a shortlist.
After interviewing six candidates in person, the team is working once again on trying to get former Houston coach Rick Adelman to come to town early next week to meet with David Kahn, Glen Taylor, Rob Moor, minority partners and other personnel.
If he declines, the Wolves then will move ahead with the process and probably choose either Nelson or Mitchell for the job.
The Trib also reports that Adelman’s a longshot according to league sources. Adelman has previously shown interest in taking over more of a personnel gig, so taking on a strictly coaching job with a general manager already in place seems kind of unlikely. At the same time, hiring Adelman would present a big step forward for the franchise. Targeting him is a great move for the organization.
If Adelman falls through, the choices are “decent’ and “call your friends who are Wolves fans and tell them to get away from sharp objects.” Sam Mitchell won Coach of the Year, and has a history in Minnesota. He’s a decent pick. Don Nelson would be an unmitigated disaster based on the young personnel they have, their need for improvement on both sides of the ball, and Nelson’s reputation for a lack of discipline.
But at least Wolves fans will know the direction of the team’s future soon.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 49
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 35
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32