Aug 20, 2011, 1:59 PM EDT
The problem with “The LeBrons” is it tries to be too much an analogy. It wants to talk about “issues’ and try and teach “values.” It’s a brand expansion. A cartoon needs to be a cartoon, and in doing so, it needs to lack any semblance of rational consideration or legitimate attempts at wry humor. And that’s before we get to the part where the old man version of himself keeps hitting on his mother.
Back in the 90′s, one cartoon understood how to do it. “ProStars,” which ran on, you guessed it, NBC. Sure, it tried to teach kids something and portrayed the stars as helpful do-gooders. But it was organic, and not a forced attempt. James’ cartoon comes off like the second hour of “The Decision,” trying too hard to explain something that’s self-evident. But “ProStars?” It’s just ridiculous. It ran for three months in 1991.
I miss it to this day.
(Note: I do not miss it to this day.)
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'