Aug 19, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
This is the latest in PBT’s “if you read just one story today make it this one” series.
Over at TrueHoop Beckley Mason has a fantastic profile of The Goodman League and the man who makes it happen, Miles Rawls. It comes on the eve of the most anticipated game of the summer — NBA star’s from Los Angeles’ Drew League are coming to Goodman to take on their All-Stars. Kevin Durant and John Wall will be among those suiting up for Goodman, James Harden and DeMar DeRozan are just a couple of the Drew League names.
But Goodman is a lot more than just NBA players balling (where you get to watch up close for free). That is the brilliant part of the story — it describes how the league is a neutral zone, a respite in the city’s troubled Barry Farms neighborhood.
“Barry Farms is one of the toughest neighborhoods in D.C.,” Durant says, “and every time we play, nothing happens. No fights, nobody wants to get into it. It’s like family and that’s what I like about playing down there….”
For the players, it’s high-level competition, but for the audience, it’s a block party, a picnic and, oh yeah, some basketball. Lawn chairs, hot wings, squealing children, french fries and Philly blunts are the norm courtside. At halftime, a D.J. mixes Motown with Go-Go and contemporary.
It’s like that in other places — the Drew League is in a rough part of Los Angeles, the Melo Center was funded by Carmelo Anthony in Baltimore because the area needed something like that. These leagues are about community coming together in areas that could use more of it.
Go read the whole story, you’ll come away with a better understanding of Rawls, the league and D.C. And if it’s possible, you’ll like Kevin Durant even more.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 16
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14