Tim Hardaway is a changed man

Aug 19, 2011, 8:42 PM EDT

Tim Hardaway #10

It was just four years ago that Tim Hardaway created a firestorm when he said in a radio interview he hated gay people. It was stunning for a guy who played and was idolized in San Francisco. It was something he ended up backtracking from after a wave of criticism and talks with friends.

Tim Hardaway is a changed man.

So much so that the former University of Texas at El Paso star was back in El Paso trying to support some city officials who voted to allow health benefits to gay partners of city employees.

The El Paso Times has the details (via Ball Don’t Lie).

In town for a golf outing, Hardaway attended a press conference urging citizens to oppose recall efforts against Mayor John Cook and city Reps. Susie Byrd and Steve Ortega. The three are being recalled by a group of religious conservatives who are angry the three voted to restore health benefits for gay and unmarried partners of city employees — despite a ballot initiative in November that had abolished them….

“I opened my eyes and went to counseling,” he said Thursday….

Hardaway said that what made his earlier statements especially shameful is that, as a black man, he should understand discrimination. And so should El Paso, as it has in the past, he said.

Good for Hardaway. I’m not going to get into El Paso politics here, but I will make one comment. Is it the Christian thing to do to work to deny health benefits to someone? Is that really what Jesus would have done? Not the guy in the book I read.

1. steventimm - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:37 PM

Not sure I understand your point-of-view….are you saying it is ok for politicians to go against the voting will of the people, just because they may not agree with the outcome of a ballot initiative? Are you also suggesting Jesus Christ would support and approve of sin…any sin? The bible is clear on homosexual activity. Nowhere in the bible does it say homosexual behavior is not a sin. Jesus was a man of immense compassion for all sinners….and through his death, all of us (me included) have been given an opportunity for everlasting life. But you have to confess your sins, turn your back on those sins and rid your life of the destructive behaviors that sin brings about to be granted that freedom that walking with Christ brings. Here is a great overview on the bible and homosexuality. I hope you’ll read it. Let’s continue the dialogue….http://www.denisonforum.org/morality/24-homosexuality-a-biblical-overview

• Kurt Helin - Aug 20, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Are you suggesting that jesus wants Christians to make sure sinners suffer? Here and now? Because that’s what not having health insurance does. I’m not going to get into a debate about the morality of a homosexual lifestyle with you — our opinions are both different and not going to change on the matter — but the question is how they should be treated here and now. And to me, it speaks poorly of anyone claiming to be Christian — to do unto others, to turn the other cheek — to make someone suffer on earth because you do not approve of their lifestyle.

• steventimm - Aug 20, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Jesus wants everyone to obey and submit to his word (the bible) and follow him. When we do that, we make choices that bring glory and honor to him. That doesn’t mean there won’t ever be any suffering here on earth (the world has been fallen since the very beginning), but it’s clear that when we don’t choose him (and by default choose our own walk outside of his will), there will certainly be suffering and eventually, death. But because of his death on the cross, he has given those who have a personal relationship with him eternal life. It doesn’t get any better than that! Switching gears, I do admire your compassion for those who may be suffering due to loss of health benefits. I am concerned too by all the suffering. But I’m curious how you rationalize changing laws or overturning initiatives because someone is suffering? Where do you draw the line on suffering? Is it just homosexuals? Or anyone suffering because of anything (like a job loss, or a poor marriage decision, or some bad business decisions which led to bankruptcy, etc.) And thinking bigger picture, how does covering all this suffering get funded in a sustainable way that doesn’t involve more government debt? By the way, just so you don’t think I care with words but not action…I’m involved with a foundation that brings help and hope to those who can’t help themselves. The bible specifically calls out believers to help the hungry, the homeless, widows, orphans, those with special needs (handicapped/disabled) and the unborn. Doesn’t matter whether a person is a homosexual or not…there are many people in these categories who are hurting. So we try and give them a little hope and show them Christ’s love. Hey…..I encourage you to be open to what God might be trying to say to you through all this…..may God Bless you and your family!

• mytthor - Aug 21, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Here is a link for you that describes why not all people do consider the bible clear on homosexuality.

2. trbowman - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:40 AM

Changed, or just doing everything he can to repair his image?

Call me a cynic, but I’m taking the latter.

• craigw24 - Aug 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM

How about we give the guy a chance. Isn’t the concept of education that we can change and grow?

• mytthor - Aug 21, 2011 at 2:48 PM

It doesn’t smell like that to me. First, it’s not like Hardaway is publicly visible or is likely to get a lot of endorsement deals. Second, if he were looking to make money on the lecture circuit or something, it’s a sad fact that he could probably make just as much money and be just as well-liked espousing hatred to the groups that want to hear that rather than tolerance.

3. therookie773 - Aug 20, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Good for you Tim. I think he redeemed himself here, if he did it right away after the controversy then it would of seemed forced.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview