Aug 19, 2011, 8:42 PM EST
It was just four years ago that Tim Hardaway created a firestorm when he said in a radio interview he hated gay people. It was stunning for a guy who played and was idolized in San Francisco. It was something he ended up backtracking from after a wave of criticism and talks with friends.
Tim Hardaway is a changed man.
So much so that the former University of Texas at El Paso star was back in El Paso trying to support some city officials who voted to allow health benefits to gay partners of city employees.
In town for a golf outing, Hardaway attended a press conference urging citizens to oppose recall efforts against Mayor John Cook and city Reps. Susie Byrd and Steve Ortega. The three are being recalled by a group of religious conservatives who are angry the three voted to restore health benefits for gay and unmarried partners of city employees — despite a ballot initiative in November that had abolished them….
“I opened my eyes and went to counseling,” he said Thursday….
Hardaway said that what made his earlier statements especially shameful is that, as a black man, he should understand discrimination. And so should El Paso, as it has in the past, he said.
Good for Hardaway. I’m not going to get into El Paso politics here, but I will make one comment. Is it the Christian thing to do to work to deny health benefits to someone? Is that really what Jesus would have done? Not the guy in the book I read.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 63
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13