Aug 19, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
LeBron James is no Betty White.
We all knew LeBron’s popularity and marketability took a hit with The Decision (even though you tuned in to watch him play). But now we have evidence of just how hard a hit. You people really don’t like him.
A recent Ipsos poll had LeBron in the bottom 10 of all celebrities in terms of lowest favorability (or high unfavorability). LeBron is in the bottom 10 with Tiger Woods, Donald Trump and Charlie Sheen. Great company (although that would be an interesting dinner party). (Hat tip to Eye on Basketball for the link)
The point of the poll was to look at what celebrity would be an effective endorser of a product. Betty White is on top of the list, and not just because she slapped Shaquille O’Neal but because people like her. I mean, I think I own everything she has endorsed because who can say no to Betty White?
The highest ranked athlete? Peyton Manning.
Kobe Bryant shows up on the list of least trusted celebrities in the poll, again with guys like Woods and Trump. But the poll found men like Kobe a lot more than women (shocking).
Bottom line is LeBron took a hit with how he handled his move to Miami. That said, if LeBron and the Heat win a few titles the perception of him will change. It did with Kobe, it does with most celebrities. Winning cures a lot of ills in this country.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final