Aug 19, 2011, 4:05 PM EST
LeBron James is no Betty White.
We all knew LeBron’s popularity and marketability took a hit with The Decision (even though you tuned in to watch him play). But now we have evidence of just how hard a hit. You people really don’t like him.
A recent Ipsos poll had LeBron in the bottom 10 of all celebrities in terms of lowest favorability (or high unfavorability). LeBron is in the bottom 10 with Tiger Woods, Donald Trump and Charlie Sheen. Great company (although that would be an interesting dinner party). (Hat tip to Eye on Basketball for the link)
The point of the poll was to look at what celebrity would be an effective endorser of a product. Betty White is on top of the list, and not just because she slapped Shaquille O’Neal but because people like her. I mean, I think I own everything she has endorsed because who can say no to Betty White?
The highest ranked athlete? Peyton Manning.
Kobe Bryant shows up on the list of least trusted celebrities in the poll, again with guys like Woods and Trump. But the poll found men like Kobe a lot more than women (shocking).
Bottom line is LeBron took a hit with how he handled his move to Miami. That said, if LeBron and the Heat win a few titles the perception of him will change. It did with Kobe, it does with most celebrities. Winning cures a lot of ills in this country.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 10
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 5
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 25
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 15
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 19
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)