Aug 19, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
Scotty Robertson, who coached nearly 300 NBA games and was an assistant for many more, has died at the age of 81 at his home in Louisiana. He lost a battle with cancer, reports the Detroit News.
Robertson coached the first 15 games the expansion New Orleans Jazz ever played in 1974. They went 1-14 and he was fired.
Robertson, who had a lot of success as the head man at Louisiana Tech, went on to coach 26 games for the Chicago Bulls for the 1978-79 season season and then three full seasons with the Detroit Pistons (1980-83). He went on to be an assistant coach with the Spurs and Suns.
He left a legacy, from the high school ranks on up to the NBA, as a teacher and as a friend.
“In professional sports, few coaches really relate to players as persons,” (Charles) Barkley said. “That’s just the way it is most of the time. But Scotty, he was always wanting to relate to a player and not just as a coach per se, or as one who strictly wanted to discuss basketball. He was concerned about you personally. I admired and respected him so much and loved playing for the Suns when he was there.”
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte