Aug 19, 2011, 12:19 PM EDT
There’s a lot of buzz about the East Coast vs. West Coast showdown Saturday in Washington D.C. — the Drew League vs. the Goodman League. L.A. vs. D.C. It’s about as close to NBA action — Kevin Durant, James Harden, John Wall, DeMar DeRozan and others — as you are going to get for a while.
The Melo League All-Stars will play the Rucker Park All-Stars (Saturday) at St. Frances in Baltimore. Josh Selby, Donte Greene, Gary Neal and Marcus Hatten will be among the players representing the Melo League.
The game you can’t miss: Melo League vs. Goodman League on August 28. Baltimore vs. DC.
With no Summer League or organized team games this summer, a lot of top-flight talent has been dropping in on the rec leagues around the nation. Durant, LeBron James, Brandon Jennings, Baron Davis and a host of others have gotten in some run. Even Kobe Bryant played at the Drew League (in the most Kobe of ways).
The All-Star games are capitalizing on that. But this is a chance for people who couldn’t afford to sit close to an NBA court to get a chance to see the stars up close and in person. And that is all good.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final