Aug 19, 2011, 7:55 AM EDT
It’s been clear that Kendrick Perkins plans to fight the charges against him from last weekend — public intoxication and disorderly conduct — so it should be no shock that he pleaded not guilty, as the Associated Press has reported.
Perkins held an event last weekend at a club in his hometown of Beaumont, Texas where he ended up on the edge of a fight with the club manager.
Police say he was intoxicated and trying to start fights, Perkins says he did not drink and it was the club owner who started the problem, plus the police were abusive. The police did not take a Breathalyzer test or blood work, so it’s up to a judge to sort tis all out.
Who do you believe?
“Perkins had bloodshot eyes and was refusing to follow even simple commands, he was uncooperative and belligerent,” Officer Scott Lizenby wrote in the affidavit. “I believe Perkins was intoxicated to the degree that he was a danger to himself or others as he was still trying to fight…
(Perkins publicist Denise) White claims Perkins had arranged for a part of the party’s proceeds to benefit his foundation and the club’s owner became “combative” when Perkins approached to ask for the money. She claims Perkins “posed no physical harm to anyone” and was never given a Breathalyzer test to see if he had been drinking.
“Kendrick was ordered to keep hydrated and take it easy,” White said in her statement. “He was NOT drinking alcohol nor was he intoxicated.”
The first court date on this will be next month. That will not interfere with training camp because the lockout will keep training camps from starting on time.
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 17
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 65
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 16
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14