Aug 19, 2011, 7:55 AM EDT
It’s been clear that Kendrick Perkins plans to fight the charges against him from last weekend — public intoxication and disorderly conduct — so it should be no shock that he pleaded not guilty, as the Associated Press has reported.
Perkins held an event last weekend at a club in his hometown of Beaumont, Texas where he ended up on the edge of a fight with the club manager.
Police say he was intoxicated and trying to start fights, Perkins says he did not drink and it was the club owner who started the problem, plus the police were abusive. The police did not take a Breathalyzer test or blood work, so it’s up to a judge to sort tis all out.
Who do you believe?
“Perkins had bloodshot eyes and was refusing to follow even simple commands, he was uncooperative and belligerent,” Officer Scott Lizenby wrote in the affidavit. “I believe Perkins was intoxicated to the degree that he was a danger to himself or others as he was still trying to fight…
(Perkins publicist Denise) White claims Perkins had arranged for a part of the party’s proceeds to benefit his foundation and the club’s owner became “combative” when Perkins approached to ask for the money. She claims Perkins “posed no physical harm to anyone” and was never given a Breathalyzer test to see if he had been drinking.
“Kendrick was ordered to keep hydrated and take it easy,” White said in her statement. “He was NOT drinking alcohol nor was he intoxicated.”
The first court date on this will be next month. That will not interfere with training camp because the lockout will keep training camps from starting on time.
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 0
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 7
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 10
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 4
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 34
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1