Aug 19, 2011, 5:23 PM EDT
Looks like Ron Artest will not be playing basketball in England after all.
It’s not that the Cheshire Jets don’t want him, they do. And it’s not that Artest wouldn’t go there to play for peanuts, he would. Although he did postpone his trip to Great Britain to meet with the team last week.
It’s insurance. The insurance to cover the remaining money $21.6 millon on Artest’s deal should he get injured.
Later it was reported the deal had been scrapped, Artest’s agent unhappy with the $33 million star’s insurance package to play during the NBA player dispute known as the ‘lockout’….
“The next few days we need to work really hard,” (club director Pete Hawkins) said. “Insurance was always an issue from the outset but we are still trying hard to ensure Ron has the protection he needs to play.”
We were always hoping against hope this would happen. Just because it would have been fun to watch. But once again, money gets in the way of our entertainment.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 36
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38