Aug 19, 2011, 5:23 PM EDT
Looks like Ron Artest will not be playing basketball in England after all.
It’s not that the Cheshire Jets don’t want him, they do. And it’s not that Artest wouldn’t go there to play for peanuts, he would. Although he did postpone his trip to Great Britain to meet with the team last week.
It’s insurance. The insurance to cover the remaining money $21.6 millon on Artest’s deal should he get injured.
Later it was reported the deal had been scrapped, Artest’s agent unhappy with the $33 million star’s insurance package to play during the NBA player dispute known as the ‘lockout’….
“The next few days we need to work really hard,” (club director Pete Hawkins) said. “Insurance was always an issue from the outset but we are still trying hard to ensure Ron has the protection he needs to play.”
We were always hoping against hope this would happen. Just because it would have been fun to watch. But once again, money gets in the way of our entertainment.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 8
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 34
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 82
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 48
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19