Aug 19, 2011, 5:23 PM EST
Looks like Ron Artest will not be playing basketball in England after all.
It’s not that the Cheshire Jets don’t want him, they do. And it’s not that Artest wouldn’t go there to play for peanuts, he would. Although he did postpone his trip to Great Britain to meet with the team last week.
It’s insurance. The insurance to cover the remaining money $21.6 millon on Artest’s deal should he get injured.
Later it was reported the deal had been scrapped, Artest’s agent unhappy with the $33 million star’s insurance package to play during the NBA player dispute known as the ‘lockout’….
“The next few days we need to work really hard,” (club director Pete Hawkins) said. “Insurance was always an issue from the outset but we are still trying hard to ensure Ron has the protection he needs to play.”
We were always hoping against hope this would happen. Just because it would have been fun to watch. But once again, money gets in the way of our entertainment.
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 3
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 9
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 44
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36
- If injury is serious, it would go against history for Kobe to be productive again 16
- Sixers’ leading scorer Tony Wroten suffers partially torn ACL, likely done for season 12