Aug 19, 2011, 5:23 PM EST
Looks like Ron Artest will not be playing basketball in England after all.
It’s not that the Cheshire Jets don’t want him, they do. And it’s not that Artest wouldn’t go there to play for peanuts, he would. Although he did postpone his trip to Great Britain to meet with the team last week.
It’s insurance. The insurance to cover the remaining money $21.6 millon on Artest’s deal should he get injured.
Later it was reported the deal had been scrapped, Artest’s agent unhappy with the $33 million star’s insurance package to play during the NBA player dispute known as the ‘lockout’….
“The next few days we need to work really hard,” (club director Pete Hawkins) said. “Insurance was always an issue from the outset but we are still trying hard to ensure Ron has the protection he needs to play.”
We were always hoping against hope this would happen. Just because it would have been fun to watch. But once again, money gets in the way of our entertainment.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 7
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 54
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7