Aug 18, 2011, 2:32 PM EDT
I can hear the Warriors fans now: “What would really improve the Golden State in-arena experience is a better team on the court.”
The Warriors new owners get that. It reamins to be seen if they’ll be able to change the fortunes of the franchise — they did hire Jerry West, it’s a start — but they get that the team needs to improve.
Still, go to a Mavericks game and you get more than just good basketball — it’s a show. Music, dancers, pyrotechnics, anything and everything to make basketball just the center stage of a night of entertainment.
The Warriors want to bring that to the Bay Area, co-owner Peter Guber told the San Francisco Chronicle.
“You’re putting on a performance every day,” Guber said. “Doing it exactly the same in another market, wouldn’t work, but the secret sauce anywhere is being interested in the audience, not just be interesting to the audience…”
He wants to add more health-food options, find better ways to entertain the 1,500 or so fans who show up 1 1/2 hours before tip-off, and polish every crevice of Oracle Arena.
“We need constant and never-ending improvement,” Guber said. “I mean, we’ve got no (spot)light at center court. That’s simple drama. … Our music sometimes sounds like it was chosen by a passing truck. No detail is small, but we can’t fix every detail all at once. I ain’t the master of the universe, but I’ll take my shot.”
We can try to poke holes in this — like the fact the Warriors owners have little control over the parking lots and arena staff — but that misses the point.
These owners care. They care about winning and about the fan experience. That alone is a big upgrade in the Bay Area. It should buy them a honeymoon period with the fans while they try to build a winning team on the court.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15